Chapter 2 - First Day, New Friends

Today is Monday. Monday is my first day at Overlook. Monday couldn't have come fast enough but it also should've taken its time to come about. I was both excited and nervous about today. I'll be meeting so many different people. I'll be in an unfamiliar environment.

I woke up so extremely tired because of the constant anxiety I had all night. There was no way I was going to get good sleep, I already accepted defeat on that shit.

I jumped out of bed, feeling lethargic. I put on a robe and some slippers just as there was a knock at the door. I don't know anyone in America so I certainly wasn't expecting anyone, especially not at 7 am in the fucking morning.

I opened the door to a woman who looked close to my age, she had long, shiny dark brown hair and piercing green eyes. I certainly do not know this woman, she must have the wrong person.

"Uh, hello. Do I know you?" I yawned.

"Hiya! Uh no, no you don't. I'm sorry. I saw you moved in a few days ago and thought it might be appropriate to introduce myself? My name's Kate, I'm your neighbor across the hall." Her thick American accent exclaimed cheerfully, putting out her slim hand for a handshake.

I smiled brightly and shook her hand. "I'm Felicia. Lovely to meet you. I've never met someone so cheery in the morning. S'pose it's a nice change though." I chuckled lightly.

She chuckled along with me and nodded her head. "Typically I'm not but I have got a long day ahead of me. I hope I haven't interrupted anything."

"Oh absolutely not, I just woke up. Got my first day of work today." I shook my head and smiled once again.

"I hope that goes well for you! As I mentioned, I'm the apartment just across from you. If you need a friend or want some help with anything, just knock on my door! I also live with my partner Dani but she's still sleeping in so she couldn't come to say hi." 

"That's totally fine, I envy those who can sleep in. Here, I'll give you my mobile number so we can keep in touch." I grabbed a pen and a sticky note, writing my number on it and passing it to my new neighbour.

"Well I gotta run but you should come over tonight after you finish work!" Kate smiled, giving me a quick hug.

"Yeah, actually that sounds great. I'll see you sometime around 6. Have a good day!" I returned her hug and waved as she left. I closed the door and chuckled.

"Never thought you could make a friend so fast."

I went to the kitchen, grabbing a frying pan and the eggs from the fridge along with some spinach and a couple of tomatoes. I am not particularly hungry but an omelette sounds pretty damn good right now. After cooking and scoffing down my somewhat healthy breakfast, I jumped in the shower and got ready to start my day. I slipped on my white button up blouse, my black pencil skirt and my stockings while tying my jet black hair into a bun. After looking in the mirror about 25 times, making sure I don't look like a mess, I rushed off.

I walked into the hospital with hesitation, feeling a bit more nervous than before I left the house but ready to start getting down to work. I got introduced to my new supervisor, some of my colleagues and my brand new desk space. I also now have so many rooms to memorize in the hospital. It was so crazy.

Close to the end of the day for me, I got paged into the emergency department. I'm not really used to being.. Uh... 'Paged'. In my clinic, we just ran all over the place to find one another. Inefficient but used to it.
I took a tablet with me and plopped down to the ER, curious of who paged me as I haven't met any doctors or nurses yet. Once at the main desk, one of the nurses waved at me and smiled.