Chapter Eight

"Akira, you big dummy!!"

    Futaba, Ryuji, and Ann were crying and hugging Akira nonstop when they all came to see him. He sat quietly and let them, not caring about the overdose of affection.

   "You scared me to death! Don't ever do that again!" Ann cried.

   "Sorry, Ann-Chan..." Akira said.

   "What was going through your head? Is there something going on that we don't know about?" Haru asked.

   "I..." Akira frowned, "I don't know... I'm sorry..."

   "Don't be sorry. We're sorry for not realizing you were hurting before. We'll do anything we can to help you now." Yusuke said.

   "It was horrible to see you unconscious after... what happened..." Makoto put a hand over her mouth, "you're so lucky to be alive, Akira... the doctors kept saying you wouldn't make it..."

   "But you bounced back! You badass!" Ryuji grinned and Akira gave a small smile.

   "But when you think about it... it really is strange..." Morgana said.

"What do you mean, Mona-Chan?" Haru said.

"Well, the other day when I wandered out, I overheard the doctors talking. They were going over Akira's past hospital records, and they said something like this happened before when he was young."

Akira felt a spark in his memory and dropped his gaze.

"Whatever they said they were lying." he grumbled.

"But they said that you cut—!"

"They were lying!" Akira cried. "I'm fine, ok?! I'm perfectly fine! I was just—I was just having a bad day, alright?!"

"Bad enough for you to try and kill yourself?!" Makoto cried.

"Yeah—no—! I-I don't fucking know!" Akira put his head down. "I don't fucking know anything..."

   "No more messing with him, ok! Give him a break!" Futaba said, hugging Akira again.

   "She's right. Makoto, come with me, we'll speak to the doctor," Yusuke said to her. Makoto nodded and followed behind him, shaky breaths leaving her mouth.

"I swear, when I get my hands on Akechi..." Ryuji grumbled to himself.

   Akira frowned.

   'Goro...'

————

   "H-Hey..."

   Akira stared blankly at the ceiling then looked at Goro almost in disbelief. Goro was back by his side with a look in his eyes that was completely unfamiliar to Akira.

   "How do you feel...?" Goro asked kindly.

   ". . ." Akira looked away.

   "You know all the nurses were talking about you... they said it's a miracle you're still alive..."

   ". . ."

   "I-I get it... the last thing you want to do is talk to me after the way I treated you... I really am grateful for your help, I mean that..."

"... do you really...?" Akira said quietly.

   "Yes, Aki—!" Goro stopped himself. "K-Kurusu, I meant..."

"You can't even call me by name. We're not strangers, Goro. You're my friend..."