Chapter Twenty-Seven

When Goro called Kasumi to tell her they were going to Osoroshi's house to find clues to the murders, she was more than excited. She doubted the nice woman had anything to do with the murders, but seeing her again sounded fantastic.

   That excitement died when she realized Akira was going with them.

   "This is really unprofessional you know," Kasumi said in the car, pouting in the backseat, "I'm pretty sure we can get in trouble for bringing a civilian to a criminal case,"

   "Yoshizawa, I know you two don't see eye to eye, but Akira has known Miss Usagi and her assistant since he was little. He can help us out," Goro said.

   "That makes no sense, I bet you he'll do something crazy..."

   Akira hummed and looked back at Kasumi with a big smile. She glared at him.

   "You haven't changed at all, sweetheart~" he said in a mocking tone.

   "F-Fuck off! Don't call me sweetheart!"

   "It sucks to have a third wheel on a date, isn't bunny?" Akira told Goro.

   "You ass! We're trying to crack a serious case, no joking!"

   Goro quietly groaned, tempted to floor the break and knock them both over. But he kept his cool and focused on driving. Unfortunately their quarrels went on until they finally reached the address Akira gave him.

   Osoroshi's house was way bigger than Goro expected. It was almost big enough to be a mansion. And the entire thing was painted pastel pink—Osoroshi did seem to have a love for pastel aesthetics.

 And the entire thing was painted pastel pink—Osoroshi did seem to have a love for pastel aesthetics

    "Oh god, she painted this place again?" Akira groaned as they headed up the steps.

   "Again?"

   "It was purple when I was five. Then after a few months she had it painted blue." Akira explained to Goro.

   "I think it looks cute," Kasumi folded her arms.

   "Enough bickering already! We have work to do, and I'm not listening to you two argue like children anymore!" Goro said, silencing them both.

He rang the doorbell—it played a cutesy tune like something from an adorable video game with animals—and they waited for someone to answer. Goro saw Akira holding his elbows in his hands, biting his lip as he stared up at the house that was familiar to him. He must be having bad memories...

Finally, an older man opened the doors. He looked rather disheveled, like he had just gotten out of bed, yet he smiled pleasantly when greeting his guests.

"Goro Akechi, right?" he shook Goro's awaiting hand, "I'm Takuto Maruki, it's a pleasure to meet you!"

   "Hello, this is my partner Kasumi Yoshizawa, and..."