Chapter Thirty-Three

Akira was sitting outside a convenience store, drinking a soda and watching the people go by when Goro called him. At first, he thought the detective was calling to check on him, maybe pry into what he's doing in case he wasn't being productive like he promised. That or he got off work a bit early and wanted to spend some time with him.

   Instead, he got a very stern demand to head to Goro's apartment immediately, only saying there was something important they had to discuss.

   Akira didn't know if it was his insecurities talking, but he worried Goro was waiting with not so good news. He was quick to run to the subway and get on the next train to Goro's neighborhood. Once he was outside the apartment door, Akira was freezing up, just about ready to panic.

'It's ok, it's ok, calm down! Wanting to talk doesn't always mean he's gonna try and leave you! It'll be ok!'

Akira jerked his eyes shut, breathing in and out a bit quickly, then he knocked on the door. A few seconds later, Goro answered. Akira noted that his lover was in a bathrobe and his long hair was tied back—had he gotten sick at work? Did he not feel well? Did he want Akira to take care of him? The noiret wanted to explode with his questions. But he kept his calm nature; no jumping to conclusions.

   "Is everything alright?" he asked as he came in.

   Goro silently shut the door before leaning his back against it. His face showed no emotion. Just that blank look he usually had when not in the presence of adoring fans or cameras.

   "Was there trouble at work?" Akira took his jacket off, not seeing Goro's stare, "Does it involve Usagi? If it does, I'll tell everyone and we can take care of it as soon as possible."

   "Is it true you tried to kill your brother?"

   The world stopped. Akira froze once again.

   "And that you almost killed Yoshizawa too?"

   Akira's hands were shaking. Yet when he turned to meet Goro's gaze, his calm face remained.

"Who told you that?" he said.

"She said it herself. Told everyone when we exited the Palace last night,"

"Is that why we're talking here now...?"

"Maybe, but I'm not sure. Makoto told me to keep you away from Leblanc for a few hours so I figured they're doing something behind your back," Goro said nonchalant.

In all honesty, Akira didn't care if his friends were doing something without his knowledge. It would just make for a fun game for him later. How the detective in front of him felt about the information he learned, that was what he was more worried about.

   "Ok, look, I've done some things in the past—things I'm not proud of! But... but I swear, I'm different now! I've changed, ok?! K-Kasumi doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about!" Akira's voice was getting louder, his face turning red as he tried so so hard to keep himself from crying.

   "Akira," Goro spoke in the middle of the small meltdown, "Akira!"

   "Don't leave me, ok?! I-I don't want you to... I'm sorry I yelled, please just..." the noiret put his hands over his face.

   Goro scoffed and rolled his eyes. Talking wasn't gonna do him any good on this one. Goro pushed himself away from the door, standing straight as he called for Akira's attention one last time. The thief looked at him through glassy eyes, brow furrowing when Goro untied the sash around his bathrobe.

   "So what if you've been bad in the past? I'm no better than you,"

   Goro pushed the robe off his shoulders and let it fall to the floor. Akira's eyes went wide and he breathed in fast, suddenly feeling weak on his legs. He had to grab the back of the couch to steady himself.