Chapter Seventeen

Akira was alone when he came to.

It was darkness all around. The only thing he could make out in his blurred vision was a window shining down on a small table with two chairs, Arsene occupying one of them.

"Good to see you're doing well," the Persona nodded.

"You scared the hell out of me, I thought you died." Akira said.

"That wasn't the case,"

Akira sat in the other chair. A cup of coffee was waiting for him.

"So what was that? That rip in the sky, those things I saw?"

"Angels. They prey on beings like yourself," Arsene turned his gaze to the window. "I didn't think there would be any trying to feed that night. I was careless. For that, I apologize."

"Don't sweat it," Akira took a sip from his coffee. "Was it their voices I heard when I...?" he gestured to the stitches on his head.

   "You're too strong while you're alive, almost untouchable. It's easier for them to feed when you're dead."

   "Mhmm..."

Akira looked at the window, curious about what hid outside. All he saw was a black sky with blue water that kinda looked like paint on fabric. There were a few stars in the sky, surrounding a crescent moon; they were white and looked like drawings a child would make with chalk or crayons.

"Do you talk to my friends' Personas?" Akira asked.

"From time to time,"

"Why don't they spend time with them like you do with me?"

"You were born with your higher consciousness. Your friends are still learning to awake the same way you do. It's very difficult and takes time,"

"Could you ask their Personas to let them in the Metaverse sometime? They don't even have to talk to them." Akira frowned.

   "I hate having to hide so much from them..."

   Arsene sighed, "I'll see what I can do."

   Akira smiled into his mug. He set it down and got up to see out the window better. That scenery really did look like a child's drawing. He laughed a bit, recognizing the messy lines.

   "I noticed you met someone else like you," Arsene said.

   "Yeah... he kinda reminds me of Ren... they're both so soft and sweet..."

   Akira rubbed some tears from his face. Far away in that ocean, he could see a red paper umbrella floating over the painted waves. Arsene stood beside him.

   "I-I shouldn't have taken my eyes off him... if I was watching him I could've grabbed him before his seizure... if I was faster, maybe Ren wouldn't have—!"

   Arsene put a hand over Akira's shoulder as the boy began to sob.

   "You can't blame yourself for your brother's death. You did what you could do to help him. It's not your fault," his tone changed. "There's someone else to blame."

   "H-Huh?"

   Akira looked up at his Persona, eyes full of tears.

   "Be very careful of who you trust. The angels are always watching."

   Arsene touched Akira's forehead. Everything slowly faded away.

————

Akira woke up for real this time. Dreams were so exhausting...

"Mmm..."

He looked to his side at Goro still fast asleep, his hair falling over his pale skin. Akira smiled softly and gently caressed Goro's cheek.

'I love this...'

   Akira kept his hand there, rubbing circles with his thumb, until Goro's face twitched and he slowly awoke. Akira giggled and kissed his nose.

"Mornin', bunny~"

"Mmm..." the brunet rubbed his eyes. "My head hurts..."

   "Yeah, mine does too,"

   Goro yawned and moved so he was on his back.

   "I really don't want to go to work..." he groaned.

   "Call in sick," Akira said, wrapping an arm around Goro.

   "And do what all day?"

   "I got a few ideas~"

   Akira started kissing Goro's neck, biting him with his lips. Goro moaned and pushed the other boy.

   "No sex, I already told you,"

   "Who said I wanted to fuck? I just wanna cuddle with my bunny,"

   "Don't call me that,"

   "But you'd make such a cute wittle bunny~"

   Akira wrapped both his arms around Goro's waist as he kissed and nuzzled against him. Goro was laughing before he knew it.

   "Stop, stop it!" he giggled.

   "Soft bunny~" Akira cooed.

"Akiraaaaa!"

The raven boy smiled as his cheeks rapidly turned red, quickly moving up to kiss his lover. Goro probably didn't even realize he had been calling him by his first name. It made Akira happy.

But, of course, the happy moment was cut short when they heard banging coming from outside.

"Kechi-Kun, Kechi-Kun, Kechi-Kun!"

    Goro groaned into the kiss.

   "You'll be late for work, sleepyhead! Kechi-Kuuuuuuun!"

    Akira pulled back, "Who's that?"

   "My new work partner..." Goro sighed.

   "Kechi, Kechi, Kechi!! Are you dead, wake uuuuupppp!!" Kasumi continued to bug.

   Akira furrowed his brow. The girl was gonna wake up the entire damn floor and he was starting to lose his patience.

   "Kechiiii! Where are yoooouuu?!"

   "He's busy, go away!" Akira cried.

   There was silence. Then the, very feint, sound of Kasumi squealing and running away. Akira looked down at Goro, who was blushing wildly, and grinned.

   "Five more minutes?"

   What the hell was with this guy? Is he even human? Goro still had trust issues; he still doesn't know what Akira could possibly want with him or why he can't seem to leave him alone. Yet despite all of that, Goro was obsessed with Akira like he was an addictive drug. He sighed to himself.

   'If it can't be helped, I guess I'll roll with it for now...'

   Slightly embarrassed, Goro put his arms around Akira's neck and kissed him. The other boy didn't hesitate to kiss back. After a few seconds, Goro withdrew and whispered in Akira's ear.

  "Ten more minutes,"