Chapter Twenty-Eight

Goro felt strange again. He was in another dream.

    'Huh... what is it this time...?'

   He didn't feel as small as last time; a bit bigger now. Goro looked around—his vision wasn't blurry this time. It looked like he was on a trail someplace by an ocean. Waves beat gently at the tall grass growing below the left side of the trail.

   'Hang on, what happened again...? We left the house... we dropped Yoshizawa off at home... we went to Leblanc... am I in the Metaverse or is this lucid dreaming...?'

   Goro looked up to a bright sun. He let out a quiet noise, ducking his head when the light hit his eyes. But he was enjoying it nonetheless. He held his hands above his head and a few happy sounds slipped from his lips. It was like he could actually feel the suns rays.

   "It's nice and warm today, huh?" Someone was walking beside him. It sounded like an adult. "Does the sun feel nice?"

   Goro tried to speak but couldn't. His hand reached out for something.

   "It's ok, I'm right here,"

A much bigger hand took Goro's small hand. He looked up to see the adult's face.

   'Wait... Takuto Maruki?! Why am I dreaming about him...? Is this not actually a dream at all...?'

   "Oh look, what's that over there?" Takuto pointed at something shiny on the trail.

   Despite not wanting to, Goro ran over the object to pick it up—he was in no control of this body. It was a pretty red and white seashell he had found. Goro ran his fingers over the bumps and hummed happily. The shine and feel to it was so satisfying.

   "What is it, honey?" Takuto asked him, sitting on a knee

   "Sh... sh-ah..." Goro could feel it—he could speak. Just not the words he wanted to say.

   "Seashell? Can you say it?"

   "Seee-shaaa!" Goro exclaimed, giggling.

   "There you go! Good boy!"

   Takuto rubbed Goro's cheek and smiled at him. It made the boy feel special.

   "Your mommy's gonna be happy to hear how much you're talking," he said.

   "Maa...?"

   "Yeah? You wanna show your mommy how well you can talk? You'll have so much to say to her, huh?"

   "Mamaaaa!"

   'Who's mother is he talking about... Maruki has never met my mother... is this someone else's memories...?'

Somewhere in the distance, Goro heard a dog's barking. Once again, his mouth spoke against his will.

"Wuh, wuh ...!"