Chapter 3: M&M's

I'm twenty minutes late to my first class.

It took me that long to open my locker. Turns out I was putting in the combination wrong. Oops.

Now, I'm walking really slow to my Chemistry class with the large bag of Skittles in my left hand, my right one reaching in every few seconds to pop a few in my mouth.

Since it took me so long to open my locker, I decided to reward myself by taking the entire bag of candy with me.

I make it to the Chemistry classroom and knock on the door, popping more Skittles in my mouth after I do.

The green ones were my favourite until the flavor changed from lime to green apple—which was pretty stupid, if you ask me—so now I like the yellow ones.

A student opens the door for me, and I step in to see that all eyes are on me. Normally, this would make me a little uncomfortable, but I'm already in uncomfortable as fuck clothes, so what's a little more?

I swallow the Skittles in my mouth and give them a head nod.

"Hey, guys."

Multiple 'hey's are heard around the room.

"How's your day going?"

'Good' is the main response, this time with more voices.

"That's good. Where's the teach–"

A throat clears.

"There he is," I say, I wince, turning towards the sound to see a male that can't be older than forty staring at me.

He looks down at a sheet of paper in his hand. "I'm assuming you must be Ms. Parker."

"I go by Cass," I say. "But, yeah."

"May I ask why you are twenty minutes late to my classroom?"

"I mean, if you want to, I guess."

Laughs ring out from around the classroom.

How was that funny?

I see nothing remotely entertaining about what I said.

"Why are you late?" he asks me, a look of exasperation on his face.

"Couldn't open my locker," I say as I pop more Skittles into my mouth.

"It's the first day of school. You have not received any textbooks to place in nor retrieve from your locker."

I shrug. Please don't let him ask what I wanted from my locker.

"What, exactly, did you need from said locker?"

Shit. Luck is just not on my side today. "Well, funny story. I like to keep bags of candy in my locker, and, like, five minutes before the bell rang, I tried to open my locker, like, ten times. When the bell rang, I was still trying to open my locker and continued to attempt to open it for twenty minutes, and here I am." I give a little shrug as I finish speaking.

The teacher stares at me. "So you are twenty minutes late to my class because you wanted to obtain yourself a bag of... candy?"

I pretend to think about it. "Sounds about right, yeah."

His eye twitches and I struggle to keep a straight face.

The rest of the class laughs and I feel my lips quirk up into a smile before I clear my throat and make my face emotionless as the teacher glares at me.

God, I'm disrespecting this guy, an adult, and I don't even know his name.

Does that make me a bad person?