Chapter 28: Kyle

What.

All I can do is blink.

Aaron's smile melts away and is replaced with a worried look. "Cassie?"

I don't answer. I can't answer. He just kissed me. It wasn't as long as I had hoped it would've been, as I had wanted it to be, but it was a kiss, a kiss that I feel like I've been waiting for my entire life.

And he likes me.

But...

"What about Tiffany?"

He sighs. "I'm going to tell you something, but, no matter what, you can't tell Autumn I told you. Okay?" I give him a nod and he moves on to his knees in front of me, resting his hands on my thighs. "Remember how I told you we moved?" Another nod from me and another sigh from him. "Before we moved, Autumn went to Breckenridge."

My nose scrunches up at the name of the 'elite' private school. Though I don't follow my high school's sports, I know that Hilltop and Breckenridge are rivals.

"Anyway, she had good friends there. They didn't hang out a lot over the summer, but they were still her friends. She was at the mall one day, and she ran into a guy and they started hanging out. They started dating and Autumn brought him to meet our parents. We didn't know that he was introducing her to all sorts of drugs or that she was addicted. And we definitely didn't know that he was hitting her. But when we found out, my parents immediately shipped her off to a rehab center in California and told the guy to stay away from her."

"She told me she was visiting your grandmother."

He nods. "That's what our parents told her to say. It would ruin both of their businesses if word got out that Autumn had a drug problem. They guy wouldn't stop hanging around the house, so we moved and Autumn came back, and we started school here. Tiffany somehow found out about Autumn and the guy and rehab because she came to me and threatened to go to the press with what she knew if I didn't agree to date her."

When the fuck did my life turn into a drama series?

Aaron's face falls. "You don't believe me."

"No," I say quickly. "It's not that I don't believe you, I do, but, I just... What does this mean? For us."

He stares into my eyes. "I don't know, Cassie. I can't break up with her. I'm not going to ruin my family."

I nod my head. "I get it. It's okay." It's not like I expected him to hurt his family just to be with me. If I were him, I'd be doing the same thing Aaron watches me, and I see the exact moment an idea forms in his mind. "Whatever you're thinking," I tell him. "Don't. Stop thinking it right now because it's stupid."

"You don't even know what it is," he pouts. "It's not that bad, Cassie, I promise."

"Have you ever heard about two things called relativity and personal definitions?" When the pout on his face doesn't go away, I sigh. "Fine. What is it?"

"How opposed are you to dating in secret?"

"Nope. I told you it was stupid."

"What happened to relativity and personal definitions?" he teases me.

"Those things don't apply to me. My opinion takes precedence over everyone else's."

Wow, I am really narcissistic.

Eh, I'm still better than everyone else.

"Come on, Cassie, please?" he begs. "All I know is that I like you and I want to be with you, and I can't think of any other way for us to be together without resulting in Tiffany going to the media. If you can, trust me, I'm all ears." He waits for me to speak up, but my brain has decided that now is the time to check out of the station and leave the train to drive itself. When I don't say anything, he continues to speak. "Cassie. What could go wrong?" he asks, and it's that sentence that prompts me to speak.