Chapter 39: Did I Mention

"Cass. Cass. Cass. Cass."

I groan out and shift on my bed, grabbing a pillow and shoving it over my face, trying to block out the voice.

I think it might be in my head, and if so, I've officially gone insane.

Tell my family I love them.

"Cass," the voice whines. "Come on, get up, it's my birthday, remember?"

Fuck. Me.

It's Friday, and the doctor had deemed me well enough to go back home, and I just arrived home, back in my own bedroom for the first time in forever; I feel kind of bad because my parents are going to have to pay a fortune in hospital bills.

I just got home a little over three hours ago, and—even though it's only one in the afternoon—all I want to do is sleep.

"Cass, would you get up? Ella's been excited about this for weeks."

The new voice in my bedroom comes right before the pillow is ripped away from my face.

One of my eyes opens slightly to allow me to see Gracie staring down at me with excitement and Cole standing next to her with his arm crossed, a fond look on his face as he watches Gracie bounce on the balls of her feet.

I forgot about Gracie's birthday.

Fuck. She's been talking about this ever since her last one, so i don't know how I could've forgotten.

By the way my eyes widen, Cole seems to know that I forgot because he gently places a hand on Gracie's arm. "Baby," he says softly to catch her attention. "Autumn told me she was looking for you earlier. Why don't you go downstairs and find her?"

Gracie nods her confirmation and leans over to squeeze me tightly, releasing me to give Cole an energetic peck on his cheek before she leaves.

Cole and I watch her bound away, and once she's out of the room and the door is closed, her turns to me, a smirk on his face.

"Seems little Cassandra is in need of my assistance."

I roll my eyes as i sit up. "Shut the fuck up," i mutter, climbing out of bed and grabbing the crutches that were propped against the bed.

Cole snickers, but sobers up pretty quickly when I send him a glare. "Come on. I'll take you to the store."

My head snaps to the side to look at him and my eyes narrow. "Why?" I ask suspiciously.

He rolls his eyes. "This is important to Ella, and it's going to crush her if she finds out you forgot." He shrugs. "And I don't want that to happen."

Right. They're dating now. Gag.

"Did I mention," I say casually. "That I'll cut your dick off and shove it down your throat if you hurt her?"

His eyes widen and I smile in satisfaction as he gulps. "I'd never hurt her."

"Of course you won't. I'm just making sure of that."

I walk towards him, stopping next to him to clap him on the shoulder, and then I move away to the door, opening it with difficulty so I can walk out of my room.

I hear a muttered, "Fucking insane," come from the room, and I smile.

I will never not love messing with him.

---------

"Would you just pick something, Cass?" Cole sighs impatiently. "We've been here for at least an hour and a half."

"Two, actually," I say breezily, still continuing to slowly walk past shops, looking out for something Gracie might like.

"At this rate we're going to miss the party," he whines.