Chapter 29: The Secret

1000 reads. Ahhh!! So stoked (lol I sound like someone from the 90s).

---------

The sound of the blasting TV doesn't allow for any thoughts--most of which are about Kyle--to manifest.

I can't even focus on what's playing. Memories of Kyle with the girl flit through my mind, but I just turn the TV up louder, trying to drown them out.

"Cass?"

What was he doing there? In the whole three years we dated, he never once willingly went to the mall; I usually had to force him to.

"Cass."

And how did he know Autumn? His reaction to her, and her reaction to him, was weird and unnerving; it made me feel weird. Was I still in love with him? Was that it? Was I, after two years, still so caught up in him that the mere idea of him with someone else made me feel wrong?

"Cass!" I jump and look to my right to see Mrs. Brewer standing in the doorway to the living room, looking worried.

"Sorry. What do you need?"

"Did something happen at the mall with Autumn? The both of you have been... off ever since you guys got back."

I shake my head. "No, nothing happened. I think we're both just tired after being there for that long of a time," I joke. My voice sounds different to me, I feel different, but Mrs. Brewer doesn't seem to notice because she laughs.

"Alright." Her eyes brighten and her smile grows. "I have a surprise for you."

"What is it?" I ask curiously.

She looks behind her and nods and three animals come barreling towards me, my eyes widening. I laugh as Pickles jumps on my lap, standing on my good leg, to lick my face, and Zeus and Blue come on either of my sides to stand on their hind legs. Wet tongues hit my face and I can't stop the splitting smile from growing. They seem aware of my injuries, because they're not too rough with me, taking care to avoid my leg and my ribs, despite how excited they are.

They're pulled off of me and I see all of my friends standing in the living room, Aaron, Cole, and Jake holding back Zeus, Blue, and Pickles, respectively.

I grin at them. "What are you guys doing here?"

Gracie grins at me. "Surprise!"

Everyone laughs, and I don't miss the way Gracie's and Cole's heads turn towards each other, and Ricky's and Jake's heads turn towards each other, or the way Aaron stares at me with a smile on his face. I smile back, but it dims when I remember what he told me and what happened earlier with Kyle.

I look away from him and back towards everyone else, smiling at my dogs' attempts to reach me.

And then my parents walk in.

I feel the happy atmosphere evaporate as I see the grim look on their faces.

"We need to talk to you."

---------

My parents are sitting on one of the couches, and I'm sitting before them in my wheelchair. Everyone else left, going to my house, taking my dogs with them, to give me and my parents some privacy."What is it?" I ask, looking between the two of them. This is not a conversation I want to be having. Especially not now.