Chapter 31: Call Me

I don't know how he got my number.

I deleted his, but maybe he never deleted mine.

Who cares how he got my number, the real question here is why did he text me?

The text message is still burned in my brain, even though I've thrown my phone across the room and I'm staring at it from where I sit on the bed, resting against the headboard.

Maybe I'm imagining it. There's no way he would text me, especially not after almost two years of no contact.

Just to be safe, I carefully get off the bed, wincing as my ribs smart with pain, and grab my crutches, walking over to my phone.

The doctors deemed that my ribs were healing well enough to be able to use crutches to walk by myself. It still hurts a little bit, but not enough to the point that I can't use the crutches.

I grab my phone off the floor with my sock-clad foot, and bring my good leg closer to me, grabbing my phone.

Unknown Number: Cassandra?

I almost drop my phone because I have a feeling I'm not imagining it. I know it's from him; throughout most of my life, he's one of the only ones to ever call me by my full first name.

I'm thinking about what I should do when another text from him shows up on my lock screen.

Unknown Number: it's Kyle

I shut my eyes tight. This is not happening. We were never supposed to talk again. We were supposed to be done with each other.

I don't understand what I'm feeling. On one hand, I love the fact that he reached out to me, I'm excited that he still wants to talk, but on the other hand, I don't want anything to do with him.

I shove my phone in my back pocket and leave it there. For about five seconds.

After that short amount of time, I'm pulling it out again and walking back over to the bed to sit down.

Me: what do u want?

Unknown Number: I want to talk

Me: you're in luck, we just talked

Me: later

Unknown Number: Cassandra come on you know what I meant

Of course I know what he meant; I just don't want to have the conversation I think he wants to have.

Me: fine

Me: what do you want to talk about?

Kyle: not over text

Kyle: can we meet up somewhere?

No fucking way is that happening. I'm not sure I ever want to see him again, let alone talk to him, but I can't deny the part of me that wants to hear his voice.

Me: how about you just call me

Almost immediately after the message is sent, an incoming call shows up on my screen, the caller ID showing the same number as the number I was just texting.

I hesitate. Is this really the best choice? Should I be doing this? I told myself I would never talk to him again, but I didn't expect myself to want to talk to him, at least not this much.

Before the call ends and he goes to voicemail, I answer the phone, holding it up to my ear.

"Cassandra."

I close my eyes. Fuck. "Yep." I work hard on keeping my voice emotionless, but I'm not sure to what extent of works. "What do you want?"

He's silent, and I know he's examining my words. It's weird. We've been apart for so long, yet I still know his habits and what almost everything he does means. "I just wanted to apologise. For what happened. For what I did."