||Nineteen||

I was fidgeting in my seat, trying so hard to avoid my brother’s hard stare. Under the table, I almost jumped when Rafael’s hand was on my thigh, squeezing it firmly, it was nothing sexual, more like him telling me that he was in it with me, no matter the outcome, without having to say it. Aunt Gia looked at me then at Rafa, thank God she wasn’t mad anymore. “So tell us, when did you two start dating?” she asked, curiosity and excitement in her voice. “and how did we not know about this?” my beloved brother spat.
I looked over at Rafa and he looked at me with a small smile, seeing the worry behind my eyes. He looked back at his mom, his eyes drifting, as if he remembered a good incident, “last summer we started hanging out when that asshole was busy fucking her cousin behind her back.” Enna gasped and closed Leonardo’s ears with her hands and glared at her brother. My brother just glared at him and so did everyone else who had recognized that there were kids in the room. “Rafael, watch your language!” his mother hissed. He shrugged, but tensed when Leo asked his, “uncle, what is fucking?”
He grinned none the less and told him to tell his mom to explain to him. Leo immediately turned to Enna and asked the same question. Enna told him she’d answer after dinner, but we all know she was hoping he’d have forgotten all about it by then. Rafa continued to explain how we low key met time and time again until my break up. “Believe it or not, on my last game, she showed up, virtually, despite what y’all think. And I couldn’t be happier that I made her proud in that field.” He grabbed my hand and kissed it on the back. “When she was in Georgia to meet her publishers, in February, in Georgia, we had bumped into each other at one of the bakeries there. We had some time to catch up and we started going out then. I couldn’t be happier that that-” everyone glared at him, “man broke up with her cause that gave me the chance to be with the woman of my dreams. I actually thought I had lost my chance with her when she got engaged to him. I didn’t actually think he would fuck up.”
Mason hit his head up side and his mother said thank you and they glared again. “How come I didn’t know this? I never thought you’d be interested in me,’’ I asked, taking a sip of my juice. “Trust me bunny, I have always been interested despite the bro code, that’s why I never said anything,” he said, sincerity in his voice. This confession made my stomach sink to my vagina.
He then turned and faced the only person against this supposed relationship, my brother. With a guilt stricken look, he took a deep breath, “Ace, I’m sorry for breaking the bro code and you know I love you bro and I’d do anything, anything but apologize for falling in love with your sister.”
My brother still looked angry and hurt, he told his wife to take all the kids to play or something, which meant this conversation was not taking the high road. Then he turned back to Rafael, “what about them other bitches you’ve been hooking up with?” “Before Em and I got together I won’t refuse that I had hooked up with a couple of girls, but after we started dating I have not touched a woman. You know this, you were trying to get me laid, remember?” Ace nodded gruffly and turned to me. “I’m sorry Lia, I know I should be happy for you for finding someone and finally moving on from what that jerk did to you, i just don’t want you to get hurt, sis. You know that.”
I let go of Rafael’s hand and pushed my seat back, I went and hugged my brother. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I just didn’t want you to worry. I can take care of myself, you know.” He hugged me back, “I know sis. But that still doesn’t make me not worry, I’m your brother it’s my job to worry.” He kissed my head and turned to Rafael, his protective brother mode back on, “you hurt her and I’ll kill you.”
“I would never,” he said it as a promise, his eyes boring into mine.

Wait, are we still acting?
I am fucked.
“Now about the vacation….”

This has nothing to do with the story but i thought I'd let you know.   I love you guys
💜💜💜💜

   I love you guys 💜💜💜💜