||Thirty one||

Staring at the ceiling was getting boring. I turned and grabbed my phone from the stand. 11.13 Time to wake up. I pulled myself out of bed and got into the bathroom to freshen up. Stretching the rubber band on my wrist, I tied it to my unruly hair, splashed water on my face and scrubbed a bit with my finger tips. Toweled my face and put some pants on, then I went downstairs. But passed Raffael’s room in the process. Was he still sleeping? Yup, I know what you want to ask. We decided that sleeping in the same room was a  little too fast. So I was sleeping in the room next to his, that is until I decide I want to sleep with him. His exact words were, “I’ll let you do whatever, ill give you space to decide when you want to sleep with me. there’s chemistry between us, always has been and I’m not going to let it die without exploring it.”
I patted down to the kitchen, screaming in delight at the sight infront of me. I jumped forward and wrapped Mr.Teddy’s cotton-self in my arms. What? I missed him. There was a note on his mouth. I didn’t know teddy bears write these days,
My subconscious slapped her forehead.
I opened it.

Good morning baby, thought I’d let you sleep in. I’ll be back by three to go to the shelter. I thought you needed some company before I come back and I had this guy do the job.
Xoxo

I grinned, aww, Raffy.
I closed it and put it on the table. There wwere words written on the back too.

Oh, and breakfasts’ in the microwave.😉

I giggled at the small smiley on the side. I turned to Mr.Teddy, guess it’s you and me. I opened the microwave, a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon stared at me all smiley. I grinned and closed the microwave door, heating up the food for a minute. I took my phone and turned off the air plane mode. Immediately, my phone chimed non stop. I remember why I had it on air plane mode. Since the previous night, I was getting lots and lots of emails and texts from people I didn’t even know across all social media sites after the video of Raff and I making out in McDolads. I put it on silent. Then I shoot him a text.

Thank youuuuuuu
See you later.

With a stupid grin on my face, I sat back down and devoured my breakfast with a glass of cold apple juice. While at it, I looked through my texts. Ignoring the rumour interested bitches. I opened a text from my mom,
Hun, I saw what happened.
Call me when you get this.

The texts from everyone else was basically the same context. I was stunned my father tried to call me though. I played his voice mail. Sweetheart, it’s me, your father. I’m not sure if you can still call me that after all I’ve done. I’ve not behaved like a real father after I left Carlifornia, and I realise that now. And I’m rumbling. He chuckled sadly and coughed a couple of times. Call me back. Or you could come to my house and we can catch up. Just- call me back. I miss you darling. He coughed again.
I winced. Is he sick? I sniffled. I held onto Mr.Teddy and plopped on the couch, hugging him tight.

………………………………
A kiss on the forehead had me fluttering my eyes open. I smiled at the small body that was seated on the carpet next to the couch I was sleeping on. Leo smiled back, kissed my cheek and hurried up blushing furiously, “uncle Raffy, Lia is awake!” Raffael shouted a response, saying okay. I sat with my feet down and stretched, Mr. Teddy was on the floor. I put him up on the couch. Then I put my elbows on my thighs, my hands covering my face. “Bunny, you good?” Raffael’s concerned voice rumbled inside my head. I combed my hands in my hair and looked at him with a small smile, “I’m fine.” He raised a brow in question, he didn’t believe me, but he let it slide, for now. I pulled myself up, went and refreshed and before I knew it we were out of the door and in Raffael’s lexus headed to the shelter. During the ride, he had one hand on my thigh, his fingers drawing God knows what on the showing skin of my thighs. Yes, I had on a pair of faded blue raged jeans, a balck shirt tucked in paired with a pair of black open heels.
Leo kept rumbling on and on about how much fun we’ll have with Rae and the other kids. We arrived in thirty minutes. The place looked pretty old and worn out. With the frown on Raffaels face, he agreed with me. we took the shopping bags out of the car and Leo held on to the bag of clothes we got for Rae. Raff grabbed the shopping bags in my hands and headed for the door.

So I was left there, with an open boot. I closed the shit and hurried after them. The place was bare. The walls I mean. Cold and uninviting. We moved further into the room, our eyes looking around. There were a couple of seats spread out in the living room. I spotted the red haired sea princess seated with a couple of other kids listening to some teenage girl telling them a story. She looked at me, her eyes lighting up, she screamed and ran into my legs hugging me, “you came.” I broke away and bent to her height smiling widely, “’course I did.” Leo grinned and pulled her into his arms. Then he pulled away blushing, “hey.” Raff chuckled and joined us. Rae looked at him. Assessing him with her eyes.
She narrowed her eyes at him, “you are who?” I giggled slightly and corrected her. she still looked at him waiting for an answer, “Raffael and who are you? Little ariel?” he mock rolled her big doey eyes. “why do everyone think I am a half fish princess? ‘cause Lia calls me that, we keep it.”
“Deal,” he grinned, shaking her small hand. She then grabbed Leo’s hand and led him to the other kids. Raff and I decided to look around abit, with the guidance of Lorey of course. Raff volunteered to buy the tenants pizza so the chef doesn’t have to cook and have the one night off. The man was more than happy to have a night off. So what we did in the meantime was try to fix what could be fixed around the place. I was told Rae’s mom would be back around six. And I wanted to have a little chat with her. after I talk to Raff first, of course. speaking of which, we were in a conversation with sofia, who was telling us about the different people she has met during her time in the shelter as the caretaker. She excused herself when a call cae through and walked out.
I turned to Raff, taking a sip from my drink, “I wanted to talk to you about something.”

           “Any luck?” I asked nerveously. Sof had told me about the many times Lily, Rae’s mother had tried to get work and failed every time. Somehow, I felt like I should be there for Rae. She looked resigned, her shoulders sagging in disappointment. Bet it’s a constant, every day of her life for this past few years or months, I don’t know. The bags under her eyes spoke volumes, the lines marred on her face made her look so much older than she actually was. She shook her head sadly and took a bite from her plate. She looked up at me for the first time. She had a small smile on her face, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. “Raelyn told me about what you have done for her, thank you so much.” I smiled sadly and took her hand in mine, squeezing it in reassurance, letting her know it was no big deal. “Lily, I would like to help you. I have a job offer for you. It’s all yours if you want it.” Her eyes lit up but she contained herself, “anything. I will do anything.”
I nodded my head towards Raff who had Rae and Leo seated on his lap as he told the kids a story about some superhero who saved a girl from wild animals. “My fiancée and I are looking for a house keeper. I would understand if you don’t want the jo-” “I’ll take it!” she cut me off. Truth is, we weren’t exactly looking for a house keeper because I would be in the house almost all day to do what can be done around the house since aunt went to Roma with her husband on a vacation. But why not give the job to someone who need some money to get by and provide for her child. We discussed everything from the pay to her duties and all that.
“When can you start?” I asked.
“I’ll be there tomorrow if you want.”
“That’ll be great. We’ll arrange an uber for you in the morning,” I smiled.
She stood and pulled me into a hug, her tears now leaking, “thank you so much miss.” I hugged her back, my eyes drifting to Raff who had his eyes on us. It seems Rae also did. She scurried off his lap, rushed to us and joined in the hug. Lily couldn’t stop thanking me. Lilly squat and rubbed her hands on her daughter’s face. Rae looked at her with a frown, “why are you crying mommy?”
“these are happy tears sweetheart. This godsent lady had given me a job. And we are finally going to leave this place and find a good home for us,”her voice cracked. With the back of her hand she wiped away the tears, “we are going to live in a big house and you’ll have your own bed to sleep in with mr.piggy. and I will have enough money to buy you those shoes that you have always wanted and to take you to school.”
Rae looked at her mother, tears in her eyes, “really mommy?”
Her mom nodded and hummed a yes. Rae wrapped her small hands around her mother’s neck crying. they cried together holding each other. This was so emotional for me. I sniffed, my tears at bay, I didn’t want to cry. but looking at them, with happiness in their eyes of this breakthrough, it just… Rae turned to me and hugged me so tight, “thank you for helping my mommy and me. thank you Lia.”
I wrapped my hands around her and kissed the side of her hair, “you are always welcome sweetheart.” When I stood up, Raff was there, having me lean into his embrace. Leo smiled widely, saying how much fun they will have playing in the backyard of Raffael’s house.