||Chapter Fifty Five||

Hey besties...... sorry it's been a few days too long but here's another update for your pretty amazing self. Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts on the chapter. i love you all. kisses

 It was time for the last half of the game and my throat was sore for screaming, the NYG should consider hiring a personal cheerleader, aka myself. The game was getting intense, I'll say I may have misjudged the Dallas boys cause they sure brought their A-game. It was crazy. The tackling, everything about this match was like nothing I'd seen before. The players all got in position. The Giants had the ball, some of the guys bent down, Raffy standing alert behind one of his buddies, waiting on that ball. He caught it immediately it was thrown his way and passed it to another guy then moved a couple of steps back. It wasn't long when the ball was thrown at him again, I'm guessing since he was close to the scoring line or something. "Go Raffy!" I screamed. His head turned in my direction, the moment the ball made contact with his hands and his beautiful blue eyes met mine and a second later he was tackled to the ground and the ball was out of his grasp pretty quick.

Something was not right. Raffy always hangs tight on the ball as his freaking life depended on it. The ball was passed to one of the Dallas boys and to another but my eyes were glued to Raffy. Some of his teammates and the Dallas boys were around him, he wasn't getting up. His face was scrunched in pain. "Something is wrong with Raffy!" Aurora said out loud what I was thinking and what everyone else in the stadium was thinking. "It looks like De Lucca is down!" one of the announcers said and my mind jumped back to the present as I watched paramedics run to the field to attend to him. My feet pushed me out of my seat. "Where are you going, Em?" Salvatore asked. I'm sure my expression said it all, I thought he was stupid or something. I had to be with Raffael. I vaguely heard them say they were coming with, I couldn't hear anything clearly, everything was a buzzing in my ear. I rushed down the few steps and past the barrier they had. Without any thought, I rushed in the field to where the paramedics were kneeling beside him. I saw some security persons following me in the field to pull me out of there but I ignored them till i fell on my knees beside him. I guess his teammates told them to let me be or I'd be hauled on their shoulders back to where I came from and embarrass myself in front of the whole world.

I brushed his damp hair out of his face and kissed the side of his head. The paramedics asked him to bend his knee then stretch his leg but he groaned in pain, squeezing my hand in his. "He's in so much pain! He needs to go to the hospital!" I glared at one of the paramedics. He nodded, pretty sure wanting to roll his eyes because he knew the same thing. A minute later, two guys, paramedics made their way to where we were with a stretcher, opened it up and laid it next to Raffy after his teammates moved to give them space. At this point, the whole crowd is going crazy. Raffael De Lucca was out on injury. I let go of his hand, feeling cold from the loss of his warm touch, and stood up and watched him cry out in pain when one of the paramedics grabbed his injured leg. "Careful!" I glared at him, my heart beating fast. "Let me do my job, lady!" he spat back. Raffy seemed like he wanted to tell him what he thought but the pain he was feeling had him gritting his teeth so hard, his eyes shut tight and jaw snapped shut. They put him on the stretcher. That's when I noticed Raffael's foot. He probably twisted his ankle when he was tackled. Because he wasn't focused on the game. Because I called his name. I caused this.

This realization made my blood ran cold. Because of me, Raffael could be looking at the end of his football career. Stupid me! You don't know that! But i.... You're not a doctor! But... I signed, deciding not to have an argument with myself while Raffael was in pain because of me, I followed the paramedics out of the stadium where the whole De Lucca Famiglia was waiting near the ambulance. Aunt Gianna had tears in her eyes the moment she saw Raffael carried to the ambulance, uncle Ale squeezed her shoulder even as his eyes trained on his eyes, worry written on his faces. On all of their faces. Even little Leo had a frown on his face when he saw his favorite uncle being placed in the ambulance. "Who's going with us or y'all follow us to the hospital individually?" one paramedic asked, closing one door to the ambulance. "Emiliana, of course!" Aunt Gianna said, sniffling. I quickly shook my head and told her to go with him instead. I saw Enna giving me the look that said, we are going to talk and you are going to tell me what's going on in that big head of yours, but thankfully she encouraged her mom to ride with Raffael to the hospital. The rest were already going to their respective cars to follow the ambulance to the hospital but I noticed uncle Ale slowing down.

"What was that, huh?" Enna cut straight to the chase. No, "hi! How have you been? When did you land? How was the weather in California or was it Hawaii?" Nope! None of that. "I don't know what you're talking about En." "I call bullshit! Now talk!" she fixed me with her no-nonsense gaze that always made Leo spill all his secrets and the secrets his dad tells him specifically not to tell mom. "It's all my fault, okay?!" I gritted my teeth. She furrowed her eyebrows, trying to understand how me being in the crowd without Raffael's knowledge caused his injury. "I screamed his name and he looked at me! He looked at me when he was supposed to be throwing the ball to someone else. He lost focus because of me! It's all my fault!" I could already picture Raffael telling me he changed his mind about us because I was the reason he was no longer in the playing field for the rest of his life. Enna grabbed me by my shoulders and shook me, "No! It wasn't your fault! Even Raff knows that! Accidents happen in the field, Raff was just unlucky like other players are. But he is going to be okay. You hear me?" I just nodded to end the conversation but I still disagreed. Uncle Ale was sitting on the hood of his car, "Give me some company to the hospital, cupcake?" Enna went to her car and I joined Raffael's father in his car. He basically told me he might have overheard our conversation and his verdict was, "everything that's done with good intention can never harm anyone." And that maybe that was Raffael's karma for wronging someone.

"As you can see, his foot is not intact correctly. His knee is dispatched and he has some really strained muscles on his lower thigh," the doctor explained. "We will fix the foot and knee, both surgery needed and try to loosen the muscles. That's all I will say for now and I have contacts of a couple of physical therapists, he will need physical therapy after, depending on how the surgery will go, we will know for how long the therapy will be. So I say, go home and rest, it has been a long night for all of you, rookie here needs to rest. Surgery will be first thing in the morning, further info, I'll give later tomorrow." Raffael's eyes were drooping, guess the pain relievers had some sleeping effect. Everyone started filling out to the hall. Raffael squeezed my hand, his droopy eyes trained on me, a lazy smile on his tired face, "I still can't believe you're here!" "I wouldn't have missed your game for the world," I said, my voice cracking. His smile disappeared when he saw my eyes shining with unshed tears, "what's wrong?" "I'm sorry I caused this! You wouldn't be here if I'd just stayed in Cali and watched the game on tv as I said but I wanted to surprise you and I ended up putting you in a hospital instead of having you out there taking that touchdown." He raised his eyebrows in shock of my words, his meds seeming to have worn off, "don't say that. I'm always falling for you anyway, you always have me tripping like a fool over you," he grinned lazily, "and I love that you came to see me, wearing my jersey. For me, that alone is a win, baby. A fucking big win, I want to kiss you right now." "Yeah?" I sniffled, his hand wiping my tears from my right cheek. He nodded, "but only if you stop crying. I don't deserve your tears, baby. I don't. No one does. Come here!" his hand trailed from my cheek to the back of my head and guided me to his face, his lips trailed all over my face, kissing the tears away then both of my eyes before he placed his lips on mine. I tasted the salty tears on his lips, I wanted to cry even harder. This man may not have won his team the Super Bowl but he had won my heart a long time ago.

He thrust his tongue inside my mouth, pulling me even closer, but I was cautious not to hurt him. We kissed for what seemed like centuries but it was only a couple of minutes. Someone clearing their throat had us parting, "the patient needs to rest ma'am!" Uncle Ale said, giving us a fake disapproving look. "Papa!" Raffy groaned. His father all but rolled his eyes like he always did, "I'm her ride home." Then he turned to me, "sweetheart, we were thinking you could stay with us tonight and I didn't want you to leave the hospital alone at this time. Plus there's paparazzi everywhere outside, so I get to play bodyguard." Raffy was silent, he looked at his father with respect, nodded, "Grazie mille, papa!" "Just so you know, I'm not doing this for you son. Not because she's your girl but she's another daughter I got to have from my best friends." Raffy rolled his eyes, "I know papa." I giggled, kissing his cheek, and stole a peck from his lips, "I'll see you tomorrow!" "Bye baby!" he kissed my forehead and we headed out of the room.