Chapter 9.

Chapter 9.

            Only a few minutes passed before there was a knock on the door. I took a deep breath.

            “Come to the back door.” I called, not too loud because I was sure he could hear me if I whispered. I walked over to the back door and opened it, there he stood. David. I slid my back down the door frams. “Sit.” I told him. He did as I asked and sat down on the floor.

            “Don’t trust me enough to invite me in?” He questioned.

            “No.” I told him simply.

            “I need to ask you something…”

            “Go ahead.” I was curious.

            “Do you remember that night at the party?” As he asked this my mind flashed back to that night, he’s sniffed my blood. I nodded, silenced by the memory. “You shouldn’t.” I looked up at him, how could I not? “I made you forget. I tried. Tried using mind control, but… it didn’t work.”

            “Clearly.” Then it clicked in my head. “Is that what you’re doing when you speak in a monotone voice?” He nodded. “So those girls… none of them remember?” He shook his head but for the first time he looked away from my face. “You’re ashamed.” It wasn’t a question, it was a statement. He was, I could tell. He nodded. “Then why do it?” He looked up at me now, slightly angry.

            “I need to so I survive!” He snapped.

            “What are you? You and your brother?”

            “You already know.”

            “I don’t.”

            “We’re Vampires.” Him saying the word finally made me think it, I’d refused to, they don’t exist. Well, they clearly do. “I’m nothing like my brother Sky, he’s, he’s thoughtless to the human race. Me, I hate it, I hate what I am, I hate what I do, I only take what I need then I make them forget. I always compell them to enjoy it, I don’t revel in the pain of others. He does. He kills, I don’t.” Somehow I knew this, I’d been able to listen to what he does, and I’ve seen first hand what Nathan does.

            “Why didn’t Nathan just kill me?”

            “I don’t know.” He seemed genuinely baffled by this. I believed him.           

            “Why can’t you just walk into houses?”         

            “I have to be invited in, we all do.” I nodded and looked down. I didn’t really know what else to ask. “Sky…” His voice was softer now. I looked back up at him. “I’m so sorry I didn’t realise what he was doing sooner, I’d have never let him do it if I’d have known. I’m sorry you had to go through that.” He was being sincere.

            “Thank you. For saving me.” I was thankful towards him. “And thank you for answering my questions.”

            “I can’t compell you, but you have to keep this to yourself. I have to trust you to do this.”

            “I wont tell.” And I wouldn’t, who would believe me anyway? They’d think I was crazy. “Do you know why you can’t… compell me?” He shook his head. “When you compelled those girls you always told them you had an eye for someone else… who?”

            “I think I should go now, I’ll see you in school.” He got up.

            “David!” I got up so I could face him, then I stepped out of the safety of my own home. He looked alarmingly at me.