Chapter 21.

Chapter 21.

            With David just avoiding the question I left the house quickly. I got into my car and just drove away. I could feel everything slipping away, I wasn’t as angry, I was sad. Who was I? Why did being who I am change the whole merging process. I drove and drove and drove. No destination.

            I found myself driving through George’s neighborhood, annoyed that he wasn’t home. One friend, really, I only had one. I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing as I pulled out onto another back road needing more time to drive. They flew down my cheeks heavily, landing on my lap, dampening my leggings. I’m so tired of everything, things start to look up and then something with come along and ruin it. This time it was my identity. I pulled over unable to see through the tears any longer. I pulled out my phone.

            “Hey Sky what’s wrong?” George spoke as he answered the phone.

            “Why do you assume something’s wrong?” I went on the defense instantly despite clearly being able to hear me crying, “Can I not just phone my best friend up for a chat?”

            “At 6 in the morning…” As he said this I noticed that it was now starting to get light. I’d been driving all night!

            “Oh…”

            “Now what’s wrong?”

            “I-I I don’t know…” I told him honestly. “I just I don’t know who I am anymore George, I don’t know what to do.”

            “What’s gotten you so upset?”

            “David.”

            “What’s he done?” I swear he just growled!

            “Nothing… nothing serious. He’s just keeping something from me.”

            “Like what?”

            “It’s complicated.”

            “I can listen.”

            “Look, I should get home, I haven’t slept.”

            “Why aren’t you at home? Where would you be at 6 in the morning?!”

            “I don’t know, on some back road…” I looked around me, I was at the bottom of David and Nathan’s drive, in fact I’d pulled over into their drive. Nathan… “Look, I’ll let you get back to sleep. Night George, see you when you get back.” I hung up quickly before getting out of the car, I walked up the drive and knocked on the door.

            “Sky,” Nathan opened the door. “Why aren’t you with David?” He raised an eyebrow but I couldn’t help but noticed how he shifted uncomfortably and how he was just in his underwear.

            “I need to know who I am and it seems the only person I can get information out of is you.”

            “Who’s Sky?” A sultry voice spoke behind him as a woman identical to me appeared. Pearl. My mouth dropped open, it was just like looking in a mirror.

            “Pearl meet Sky, Sky meet Pearl.” Nathan introduced us. “Now where’s my stupid brother?” I dug my hand into my bra and pulled out David’s ring chucking it on the floor.

            “I don’t know I guess he’s hiding.”

            “SKY!” A familiar male voice called from behind me, I turned to see George running out of the woods towards me.