Chapter 18.

Chapter 18.

            I finished my shift and went around the garage turning off all the lights, I was the last in tonight and said I’d lock up. Wade has a family holiday booked for a week, which meant that not only was I out of a job for a week, I was also out of a best friend for a week. He’d paid me for last week and this week, so I was getting paid without working. I’d accepted it without complaining of course. The money was already safely in my jacket. I locked up, I had to admit I’d stayed on longer than I should have because I didn’t really want to see David. I don’t understand why he couldn’t just tell me what Nathan had?

            “You worked late?” David’s voice made me jump, I turned quickly to see him sat on the front of his car.

            “Erm… yeah.” I shrugged as I walked over to him. “Have a nice time with your friends?” His face looked at me confused for just a second but then, as if he remembered something, it returned to normal.

            “Yeah.”

            “You lied to me.” I sighed and climbed into my car and started the engine quickly, why did he lie to me? And he wouldn’t tell me about this whole merging thing. I pulled out of my parking space and began my short drive home. The headlights in my rear-view mirror only confirmed my suspicions that he would follow me.

            Once I was pulled into my drive I got out of the car and shut the door, before I saw him coming David had me up against the closed door.

            “You lied to me too.” He pointed out.

            “About having extra work?” I questioned, that was the only time as far as I can remember, he nodded. “Well, I was planning to talk to Nathan.” I shrugged and pushed him off of me, I knew he could resist if he wanted too, but he didn’t. I walked past him and up to my door then unlocked it, letting both of us in.

            “I told you to stay away from him!”

            “You don’t own me David. I had to find out about this merging stuff from somebody!” I was on the verge of yelling at him. He seemed taken aback. “I had lunch with George in the end.” I sighed at him as I walked up the stairs.

            “So you didn’t talk to him?”

            “No, I did. After school, before work. I found out what I wanted to know.”

            “Don’t trust him, he’s a bad person Sky!” He wrapped his arms around my hips and pulled me into his body.

            “You don’t think I don’t know this?” I mumbled the rhetorical question. “I know what I wanted to know now, you weren’t going to tell me and I knew he knew so I asked him.”

            “I don’t want you anywhere near him if you can help it…” There was a slight threat behind the words but the tone of his voice was more hopeless. I pushed him away from me again so I could turn to look at him.

            “You don’t own me David! I can do what I want!” I told him sternly but I didn’t want to argue with him. “Anyway, why did YOU lie to me?”

            “I wanted to find out more about this merging stuff.”

            “And?”

            “I didn’t know much so I went home and checked all my books. I guess Nathan had already read it all ready to load you up with information.”

            “He already knew what merging was, I read his mind.”

            “I knew what it was just not what was involved, now I do.”

            “And so do I.” I walked towards him and wrapped my arms up around his neck, his hand went to my hips and pulled me close to him again. “We’re one in a million you know.” I giggled.

            “You’re one in a million you know?” He pressed his lips against mine lightly and I could feel his smile. I let him lead us back to the bed, he turned us around so he fell first and I was on top of him. “Are we done arguing?”

            “Hmmm… let me think…” I said flirtly as I sat up on him, I pulled my shirt off up over my head before leaning back down over him. “I suppose so.” I bit my lip as he pulled my hair out of its pony tail, my long black hair fell around us like a waterfall, a black one.

            “Good, I hate arguing with you.” He flipped us over so he was on top I couldn’t help but let a small giggle escape my lips. “I love you.”

            “I love you.” I replied, then our lips touched and we did what we did just this morning all over again.

            The hot sun beamed down around me, warming my pale skin that was pretty much all out, a black bikini the only material on my body. I was beside the pool on a deck chair. Children were playing about in the pool, screaming and giggling. Beside me David was sat up with a baby in his arms. He was smiling down at the little baby girl who’s skin was white from sun cream, she wore a pink hat which shaded her face from the rays of burning sun. The hot weather was a nice change from the usual rain back home. I was on holiday.

            “Mummy, Daddy! We want ice cream!” Two little boys came running over to us, dripping wet from the pool, they were about 4 years old, twins.

            “Mummy want ice cream too?” The boy who hadn’t spoken climbed on to my deck chair and into my lap.

            “I’ll go get them babe.” David stood up and held out the little girl and placed her in my arms, he kissed my cheek and then took the two boys away around the pool to get some ice cream. I looked down at the little girl, she had David’s eyes and my black hair, she was beautiful. She was mine, mine and David’s. The scene around me began fading, it was getting darker, then everything was black, I looked down at my hands, the baby had gone, my baby had gone! I screamed out in panic.

            “SKY, SKY!” David’s voice woke me up in shock, I sat up quickly. It was only just a dream. A nightmare. I looked at David’s face, I could feel his panic. “You were screaming.” He told me, I nodded. The cruelty of that nightmare, I’d never get to go on holiday to a boiling hot country, David could deal with the sun here, he had a ring that protected him from it, Nathan had one too, but it still made them uncomfortable, though it was rarely sunny here. But I knew the hot weather abroad would make them ten times more uncomfortable. Also, he wouldn’t be able to give me children… I’d always wanted children. I’d never be able to have a family, and go on family holidays. David couldn’t give me any of that. I knew he was the one, this merging business proved all of that, but he was all I’d ever have. I held back the tears, it would only upset him. I lay back down in his arms. It was only a nightmare I told myself again, a cruel horrible nightmare. I sighed and shut my eyes again to go back to sleep. David comforted me by running his hands through my hair, ‘shh’ing’ me to sleep. It did relax me. Just a cruel and horrible nightmare.