Chapter 10.

Chapter 10.

            A banging on my front door woke me up, I groaned and pulled my pillow over my head and attempted to continue my slumber. Whoever at the door wasn’t going to let that happen though. I climbed up out of the bed.

            “OK OK I’M COMING!” I yelled. I made my way down the stairs and too the front door, then opened it. I was shocked to see David stood there, and confused, also the sun was hurting my eyes. “What?”

            “You’re not hiding away all day.”

            “I can if I want, not much you can do about it out there.” I said with attitude before slamming the door in his face.

            “You’re stronger then you think Sky.” He called through the door. “You can handle this even if you think you can’t.” I opened the door back up at him after calming down slightly, I peered up at him through my eyelashes.

            “Yesterday I broke down crying and you brought me home.” Just in my voice you could hear the vulnerability.

            “It’s a new day.”

            “With the same crap going on in it.”

            “You don’t give yourself enough credit. You have been through so much and you’re still standing with barely any scars.” He told me, he said it like he meant it too, maybe he did. I mean he has driven all the way over here just to wake me up. I know he didn’t mean actual scars but I still looked down to my arm at the fading scars, one time. Never again. When I looked back up he looked up, he’d been looking at my arm. Though, with all the studying of me he’s been doing I’m pretty sure he already knew about them. I hid my arm awkwardly behind my back.

            “This is different.”

            “Yes, it’s ten times easier than any of the other stuff you’ve had to deal with!”

            “How do you know what I’ve had to deal with?” I was agitated now and I don’t know why.

            “I’ve lost everybody I’ve ever loved.” He stated coldly, a wave of guilt washed through me, of course he had.

            “Yeah, I’ve been through more than just losing my family.”

            “But that’s the worst.”

            “Yes. But what your brother did to me is a close second.”

            “It’s nowhere near the pain of losing someone you love and you know it.”

            “I thought I was going to die David, somehow that is pretty traumatic!”

            “But is it as traumatic-“

            “Just shut up ok, no, it’s not as traumatic as being the only survivor of a freak crash which killed a bunch of people including your family. It’s not as traumatic as having to identify your families bodies because there is no one else out there to do it! It’s not as traumatic as being thrown into a life you don’t know how to live, having to work, do whatever you can to make money just to keep some food in your mouth and the electric running, especially at my age. Ok, no it’s not. But that’s not the point David! I can’t face them! I can’t go back to work there, I called last night and quit. Now I have to try to find another job or I’m out on the streets. So it may not be as stressful or traumatic but it is both of those things all the same!” I ranted after cutting him off.