Round 1 Results - Historical Fiction

Hello and welcome back!

Our amazing judges did a great deal of work (thank you, judges) and we're here with our Round 1 results of some genres. First up, Historical Fiction!

Are you guys ready? 

The below-mentioned books move on to the next round, Round 2 where only the Top 3 will be picked

A note to the participants, you guys are ALL excellent writers. So don't be disheartened if you don't see your name up here. I'm adding a short review of each selected book so that aspiring writers can know what makes a judge tick. 

For those who did make it, congratulations! See you in the next round. 

Judges, you will be reassigned new books for Round 2 (of course). So if you judged this genre, and wish to do it again, PLEASE comment below. 

Since Historical Fiction had 11 entries in total, a total of 6 were selected to move on to Round 2. Round 2's results will decide the final top 3 winners. 

Winners of Round 1:

Judgeheydoctoryehet Thank you!

1) Morendo - lionobsession 

 Points scored: 49.5/50 

Review: Apart from a few typos, the story was very well-written. The cover was minimalistic and fitting with the story. The plot seemed interesting and the style of writing was commendable. 

2) Lydia - toomuchtohandle21

Points scored: 47.5/50 

Review: The strength of this book lies in its characters. Each of them is differentiable, and you can tell a lot about Lydia from the first chapter itself. The dialogues were fit for the time period, and we loved the Southern accent that was given to them!

3) An Imperial Affair - raehana2711

Points scored: 45.5/50 

Review: With excellent dialogue and near perfect grammar, this book is a good read. While a few parts were tough to focus on, the overall storytelling did not drag the book out too much and gave just enough information for the reader to read on. 

4) Relics and Gold - BetelgeuseWatson

Points Scored: 45/50

Review: The writer has a strong command over grammar and diction. The dialogues were perfect, and while the paragraphs can be broken down into small chunks to make for an easier read, the story seemed compelling enough to continue the read. 

5) To Live Is Christ, To die is Gain - JessicaGoyette

Points Scored: 44/50

Review: The cover and blurb of this book are intriguing enough to draw you in. And with great grammar and a decent introductory chapter, the book seems off to a great start. It will certainly help to make the start a little more introductory and intriguing for those who are unaware of Christianity. 

6) Malediction - josotore

Points Scored: 43.5/50 

Review: The main strength of this author is his writing style. Despite having a little more narration in the first chapter than normal, it was interesting and easy enough to carry on reading ahead. A tip for the author is to italicize his characters' dialogues instead of highlighting them in bold! 

And there you have it!

To the ones whose names are not on this list, we hope you still had fun. And that you'll stick around to see how this contest turns out. We hope to see you again soon, for the next iteration!

Hearty congratulations to the selected participants!

Stay tuned, more results coming up within the next few days. 

Lots of love and thanks,

-Team Writers' Choice