Round 1 Results - Teen Fiction

Teen Fic results are here!! (sorry for running late) 

The below-mentioned books move on to the next round, Round 2 where the Top 6 will be picked to move on to the final Round 3.

A note to the participants, you guys are ALL excellent writers. So don't be disheartened if you don't see your name up here. I'm adding a short review of each selected book so that aspiring writers can know what makes a judge tick.

For those who did make it, congratulations! See you in the next round.

Thank you to our judges awkwardteenish and PrincessParis82! And a HUGE thanks to our 3rd judge crime_essence for stepping up at the last minute!  

Judges, you will be reassigned new books for Round 2 (of course). So if you judged this genre, and wish to do it again, PLEASE comment below.

Here we go!

1) Spicy Sugar - Imperfect_Godess

Score: 48/50

Review: The cover is well suited for the title of the book and even the first chapter. The blurb is something that seems to introduce the element of mystery into the story and honestly is what pushes the reader into reading the actual first chapter (prologue). With minor grammatical errors that could be changed, the prologue seems to be the almost-perfect first chapter to a story. It doesn't exactly introduce you to the main character just yet but still manages to set the atmosphere of the story. 

2) Silhouette - TwoGlassesGirls

Score: 45.5/50

Review: While there is little dialogue in the book, the writing style and technique is amazing. The emotions and details in the first chapter make us feel like we're in the book. 

3) Open Clarity - apcaruso

Score: 45/50

Review: While the blurb could use a little work, the emotion in the book was conveyed well and had a good prologue. 

4) I don't smile - IridescentVibes

Score: 43.5/50

Review: A very eye-catching cover with a fitting title and a blurb that counts as a strong part of the story itself. It quickly catches the readers attention immediately and pushes them onto actually reading the first chapter. The first chapter is a good start to the story and gives you a good introduction into the characters and what exactly has already occurred. Apart from the small minor grammatical errors, it was a wonderful read.

5) Still water - absolutelyabyssmal

Score: 43/50

Review: The book is absolutely intriguing. We liked the descriptions, the dialogues, and most importantly Astrid's character. It definitely made us want to find out more about her life.

6) Parallels - Chido_10bell

Score: 42/50

Review: The writing style was very good and portrayed the actual thoughts of a teenage girl. A small tip: don't make the dialogues italic! Overall, a good read.

7) Inning Of Love - anonymouss18

Score: 41/50

Review: While there certainly could have been more emotions used to make the reader feel what the characters are feeling, the intrigue set up kept the reader hooked and wondering. Well written.

8) The Untouchable - elliecage

Score: 40/50

Review: The cover is okay but the blurb is good. The first chapter is certainly well written. The dialogue between the 2 characters is something that really hooks the reader on and urges them to continue reading. The characters' personalities are shown through their speech and this is certainly shown here as well. The plot of the story is set out from the first chapter as the reader get a grasp of what the writer here is aiming for. Apart from a few grammatical issues, it was a well-written chapter.

9) The wrong Indian Flag - queen_of_sass

Score: 39/50

Review: We like how entertaining the story is. There are some sentences which can be paraphrased and characters which could be polished. Nonetheless, we really enjoyed the first chapter.

10) The edge of eighteen - sarah3534

Score: 39/50 

Review: It is clearly well written and planned. The chapter made us want to be a part of Anna's journey.

11) Stick With Me - genevieve012

Score: 39/50

Review: The small cliffhanger at the end of the first chapter is a perfect way to make the reader want to read on. While the blurb and grammar could use some work, the plot is clearly laid out for the story and it seems promising. 

12) Purple Dream - tanellia

Score: 38.5/50

Review: It has a good cover and the blurb is able to capture the reader's attention. The intro starts off very unique and fresh and this element is continued throughout the whole chapter. However, a weakness is that the grammar throughout the chapter may potentially put some readers off. Apart from that, a very intriguing story. 

And that's it!

To the ones whose names are not on this list, we hope you still had fun. And that you'll stick around to see how this contest turns out. We hope to see you again soon, for the next iteration!

Hearty congratulations to the selected participants!

Stay tuned, more results coming up within the next few days.

Lots of love and thanks,

-Team Writers' Choice