Round 1 Results - Poetry

Poetry results are here!

23 poems entered into the contest, but only 12 move on to the next round. 

The below-mentioned books move on to the next round, Round 2 where the Top 6 will be picked to move on to the final Round 3. 

A note to the participants, you guys are ALL excellent writers. So don't be disheartened if you don't see your name up here. I'm adding a short review of each selected book so that aspiring writers can know what makes a judge tick.

In all cases, -3 points have been done for failure to follow the judge.

For those who did make it, congratulations! See you in the next round.

Thank you to our AMAZING judges, bidiyakdamian , -shadesofblue and Complexity_ !

Judges, you will be reassigned new books for Round 2 (of course). So if you judged this genre, and wish to do it again, PLEASE comment below.

Here we go!

1) Scars of Armor - Amaboo

Score: 20/20 

Review: Stunning, from the cover to the description to the writing. Creative with nice wordplay and metaphor, excellent diction and grammar. We have a potential winner.

2) Shattered Hearts - Storm_Struck

Score: 19/20 

Review: Lovely cover, excellent writing: I am not a saint, only pretending to a poet; in her own words. Good prose.

3) Aeonian Emotions - AerdenWrights

Score: 19/20 

Review: A beautifully written piece. There's a lot of talent displayed in the poem, and the emotions conveyed are unreal. Basically a perfect poem. 

4) Pointless Notions - tatteredsoul_

Score: 18/20 

Review: The cover is okay, albeit not exactly eye-catching. Gorgeous writing, excellent descriptions, fine-tuned grammar. Creative enough.

5) Inside. - dexipher

Score: 18/20

Review: Nice cover and graphics, good description, lovely imagery that fits well. Has a Shakespearan air. Excellent poet.

6) Tale of 2 worlds: To my beloved Galileo - Lady_Rhey

Score: 17/20

Review: This poem is delicately knitted with love and passion. It creates a strong lasting impression of the poet's undying affection for someone. The use of words has been really appreciable with quite a good number of metaphors, enhancing the beauty of the poem. A bit of correction in the punctuation would really go well with the flow of the poem. 

7) Withering Words - dollymouse

Score: 17/20 

Review: The poem is very well crafted and shows great emotion. It's very new and brought on many different perspectives which were enjoyable and refreshing. The poet is immensely talented. Only tip? Put the contest information at the end of the poem and/or in bold/italics.

8) Pressed Between Pages - W41k3r_19049

Score: 16.5/20

Review: The theme was creative and one could generously relate to the melancholy of the poem.  Also, the flow of the poem is appreciable and it could easily make one plunge into a haven of thoughts. Overall, well written with a nice choice of words.

9) (Hope this is not trash) Poetry - Tankytoon

Score: 16/20

Review: A very new poem that showed immense creativity. A few sentence construction issues, like the use of the word "and" twice in the end...it is otherwise a very unique and beautiful poem.

10) Hues of Souvenir - Champer_Queen

Score: 15/20 

Review: A short, but a very intense poem. There are a few grammar and sentence construction issues (like the space between " and 'you'),  but apart from that it is very descriptive and the poet's conflicted feelings are shown well. 

11) What I see - ifana8

Score: 15/20

Review: Good cover, good writing, just about goood everything, but it sort-of lacks spectacular creativity that makes poetry poetry.

12) The Rhythm of her Piano - AreebaDazzle

Score: 14.5/20 

Review: The overall theme of the poem was tender with a soft and hearty presentation. Really heartfelt. Also, the creativity was considerable, adding a generous meaning to the poem. Could literally imagine a piano playing in the background while going thro' the lines. The words used are simple and are easily understandable by the reader. Good job by the poet I can say!

And that's it! 

Congrats to all the winners!

For those who didn't make it, we hope you enjoyed anyway. And that you'll be there next year for the 2nd iteration of the awards! See you for the next round :)

- Team Writers' Choice