Round 1 Results - General Fiction

Gen Fic results are here! 

The below-mentioned books move on to the next round, Round 2 where the Top 6 will be picked to move on to the final Round 3. 

A note to the participants, you guys are ALL excellent writers. So don't be disheartened if you don't see your name up here. I'm adding a short review of each selected book so that aspiring writers can know what makes a judge tick.

In all cases, -5 points have been done for failure to follow the judge.

For those who did make it, congratulations! See you in the next round.

Judges, you will be reassigned new books for Round 2 (of course). So if you judged this genre, and wish to do it again, PLEASE comment below.

Here we go!

1) When Lust and Envy Meet - k1rs10

Score: 43/50

Review: We love the setting, the main character and what he wants. The title is smart. The MC sees his 'sin' as lust and his object of fascination will be envy I guess. It's a daring book and with a daring topic set in a daring timeline.

2) Resurrection - AuraliaMinnet

Score: 42.5/50

Review: Definitely one for the second round. It has an interesting idea and the first chapter really sucks me in. Yes, there are some issues of course. It might move a little too fast, the MC acts a little bit strange after what she's been through but it doesn't disturb me that much. Nice cover and blurb too. 

3) Kitsune's Protector - MieraScarlet

Score: 42/50

Review: The prologue does a really great job of hooking the reader. The characters are believable, and the main plot is established really well, however, we would say that it's only real negative point is that the characters don't have very much physical description.

4) Red Lights - RedLightsOfficial

Score: 41/50

Review: I was very impressed by this chapter. The spelling and grammar is spot on and the characters and their personalities are portrayed very well considering it is just the prologue I found myself becoming emotionally drawn to the main character. The ending of the prologue is an unexpected twist and leaves the reader wanting to read on.

5)  A Bad Fall - DariaLamtsova

Score: 41/50

Review: The concept is interesting, and the first impressions are that the characters ring true. The book has the feel of polished dialogue, even if the book sometimes tries to hold the reader's hand a little too much.

6) Worlds that collide - -sauti

Score: 40/50

Review: Even though the cover is okay, and the blurb could be a little more intriguing, Chapter 1 does deliver. The characters seem smart and I like to see their relationship. It's playful and respectful while they allow one another to be doubtful. Their dedication to each other is apparent and I love that. Chapter 1 leaves us clouded with a lot of mystery regarding this rift and another world they talk about. It makes the reader want to know more.

7) The Vickers - OliveST

Score: 39/50

Review: The book has a very strong introduction which lays out the plot of the book straight away to draw the reader in and leave them wanting more. Not much description went into characters as they seemed introduced quite quickly without any notes on their personalities and the grammar and spelling were very good with only a couple of errors.

8) Fate Called me a Pussy - King_Of_Adarlan

Score: 39/50

Review: There is a compelling hook, and the dialogue has the ring of something genuine. The characters are fleshed out, however, there are a few sections that would look better split up into different paragraphs.

9) The Freemen - TheSADRiter

Score: 36/50

Review: The book has a very interesting plot, although the lack of speech marks is a bummer. The characters are very fleshed out, and the hook is excellent.

10) Walls and Eyes - Bluestorme

Score: 35/50

Review: Grammar and spelling were done well and characters were okay - the main character giving insight to himself quite well but the few others were thrown in quite quickly without much description. It was an interesting introduction, setting a good scene and letting the reader know where things were headed and was very informative and the diction used was quite good too.

11) Laws of Siblinghood - Bibliophile005

Score: 33/50

Review: The blurb was very explanative to the story the cover and title were good. Spelling and grammar were near enough perfect however there didn't seem to be much to draw the reader into this intro of the book. The characters were introduced well but not in a lot of descriptive depth and the diction used was slightly basic.

12) I don't trust you enough - SilverAngel999

Score: 33/50

Review: The cover and blurb had us cheering loudly. It looks so damn promising! This chapter needs a little work! It's a short chapter and it could use more I think. I do want to know more about the second character and the conflict between them. I want to know what supposedly makes them a good team even though they hate each other.

Next list is up too! Coming up are results for other genres! 

Congrats to all the selected entries! Get ready for Round 2!

-Team Writers' Choice