Round 1 Results - Romance

Next up, we have Romance!

Thank you to the judgesLuliWrites , ramyam2000 and GoddessV ! :D

Ready? 

The below-mentioned books move on to the next round, Round 2 where the Top 6 will be picked to move on to the final Round 3.

A note to the participants, you guys are ALL excellent writers. So don't be disheartened if you don't see your name up here. I'm adding a short review of each selected book so that aspiring writers can know what makes a judge tick.

In all cases, -5 points have been done for failure to follow the judge. 

For those who did make it, congratulations! See you in the next round.

Judges, you will be reassigned new books for Round 2 (of course). So if you judged this genre, and wish to do it again, PLEASE comment below.

Here we go!

Results for Round 1:

1) Ollie and Pep - SecretarysCar

Points Scored: 44/50 

Review: The cover is excellent, although the blurb could have been a little more informative. The dialogues are perfect and you immediately love the character of Ollie. The introduction is compelling and immediately draws you in and impeccable grammar shows that the author proofread their work. 

2) All Roads lead home - witchoria

Points Scored: 39/50 

Review: The book has a very interesting start, and definitely hooks the reader from the beginning. It's beautifully written and you can see it will be a great read. The only tip? A little more description of the main female character would be great!

3) Misstaken - dystopianxfiction

Points Scored: 39/50 

Review: The dialogue in this book was natural and very well-written. It seems different compared to other billionaire stories, and that's what makes it so captivating and interesting. While the blurb could be improved, the characters are relatable and different which makes you curious to know more. 

4) Bringing the Nation's husband home - _ScarlettWilson_

Points Scored: 36/50  

Review: The story is great, and has a wonderful premise. It has an interesting start, with good grammar. Definitely would want to read more of the book!

5) For the love of history - KimberlyTanithMarie

Points Scored: 36/50 

Review: The book had a beautiful description and setting. The first chapter immediately draws you in. Good job!

6) Reading Mr. Reed - anonymousgirl1206

Points Scored: 35/50 

Review: Although the cover and the blurb could use a redo, the dialogue in the first chapter is realistic and really well done! Diction was excellent, and the introduction is bittersweet and makes the reader establish a connection with the protagonist immediately. Characters are decent, but the grammar can be given another check. 

7) Cerena Hart - overly_thinking

Points Scored: 34/50

Review: The cover is very nice, and makes you want to pick up this book for a read. The grammar and dialogues are near-perfect, making the chapter easy on the eyes. The characters are interesting and well described. The starting could be a little more unique and hooking, but overall a nice read.

8) A Great Turn - kundaimanyati

Points Scored: 31/50 

Review: While the blurb and cover should definitely be revised, the book makes up for it in its dialogues and introduction. The characters can be more descriptive, and the phrasing can be a little more interesting, but kudos on the good grammar!

9) Hug All your Friends - beeekid

Points Scored: 27/50 

Review: The blurb and cover of this book are very nice, and make you want to pick it up for a read. The characters introduced are interesting enough to get you curious. 

10) Spectacular - cute_wabbit

Points Scored: 23/50

Review: With a decent cover and synopsis, 'Spectacular' shows potential in being a good read with an interesting plot idea.

11) Law of Attraction - feufeu15

Points Scored: 22/50

Review: The dialogue in this story was good, although the writer should be a little careful about using too many ellipses in the story. The title of the book is nice, but the summary could use a little do-over and say something unique. Excellent diction. 

12) Mention my name - theyellowapple

Points Scored: 21/50

Review: The format is pleasing to the eye, and the plot seems interesting. The first chapter was too short, however and can be made longer to keep the reader hooked. 

And that's it!

Congratulations to the selected participants! 

For those who didn't make it, we hope you enjoyed anyway. And that you'll be there next year for the 2nd iteration of the awards!

More results coming up!

-Team Writers' Choice