𝕖𝕩𝕚𝕚𝕔𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

✰♪✰♪✰♪✰

Popularity. It seemed like such a worthless task. Unfortunately, some jobs depended on it.

Exiicution, for instance, thrived on the high stats of her fans. Without the screaming adoration's, she would have no income and would have to result to a normal day job in a cubical. She wouldn't have minded it, as she was passionate in numbers back in high school, but it would never be as much as her income was when she peaked.

Peridot Greene rinsed her mouth out now and avoided looking into the studios public bathroom mirror before she pulled down on her ski mask to hide her girlish features. Her pale lips and brown contacts giving no hint that she was indeed a female.

It got undoubtedly steaming in this mask, but she had to wear it to keep her identity safe and her career mysterious and unique. She walked out of the bathroom, never looking once at how slim her figure looked. She needed to get back to discussing her career path with her manager.

"Finally ready to see the dancing girls?" The familiar joyful voice spoke once Peridot entered the private room no one could access.

The blonde scoffed and rolled her eyes, "When am I ever not ready?"

Her manager snickered, tapped a large stack of papers onto the table to straighten, and rose from his seat. He walked up to the masked girl and straightened his tie for a second. "There's not only girls out there, just so you know."

Peridot shrugged and began to walk to one of the large studios that her manager rented. They had to use two studios to file out the hundred of dancers who showed up to become part of her tour as backup dancers and the upcoming season of 'Dancing In A Daze', a show that competes with other dance groups for riches and fame.

"Remember," He said in his stressed but relaxed tone, "You can only choose five dancers today."

"Five per room. Yes, Greg. I got it." Peridot peered into a window to one of the studio rooms. She watched bodies move in near synchronization, hips swaying and arms snapping. Some girls, who seemed to be distracted easily and not taking the 'interview' seriously, stopped to squeal and gossip once they saw Peridot in the window.

With a roll of her eyes, Peridot entered the room, gaining most of the dancers attention. Greg followed her as she made her way to the front of the area where one of her choreographers were. From walking to the front, she couldn't help but notice herself in the mirror but before she could feel the bile rise to her throat, someone thankfully interrupted her trance.

"Ah, Exii." The choreographer smiled at the music artist, making sure to greet her with her stage nickname instead of her actual nickname. "I'm glad you decided to come in. They just finished their routine."

The masked blonde gave a thumbs up, not wanting to speak in such a large crowd for added mystery and sheer anxiety. She crossed her arms after that as the choreographer made instructions around the room.

Greg looked panicked and flustered as he managed his clipboard and stacks of papers. Peridot noticed his dismay and observed what he was so tense over. She pursed her lips when she figured it out. "Oh. Should've went into the other room first, I guess."

He scratched the back of his neck, underneath his long locks of hair. "No, it's fine. I just need to go get the other stack of papers real quick." He said. "Be right back."

When he arrived a couple of minutes later, the selection process then began. Groups of five took turns, repeating the same routine and same clip of song. Most of the characters were either too boring, didn't hit the beats, or failed to peak Peridot's interest. She gave a small exhale through her nose and crossed something off of her clipboard that Greg had brought for her. These dancers were neither sweet nor spicy enough for the road she had planned.

After going through the whole judging process, Peridot and the choreographer, Pearl, figured out who they wanted to stay for the next step in the try-outs. Greg notified that whoever would get a call back to come the following week at this exact time. Once the whole room disappeared, it was time to judge the other fifty dancers in the next studio.

Upon arriving in the next room, quiet shrills and hushed gossips surrounded her as she walked up to her other choreographer. The short tan girl roared in excitement and tiredness when her eyes noticed the artist.

"It's the Executioner!" Amy fist bumped the approaching girl. "I've been waiting for you, man."

Peridot just shrugged and gave a small smirk. That was when the whole scene was set in action again, almost exactly the same procedure. Instead of a lyrical jazz routine like she had just watched, this group showed off their moves of funk. Thrusts of their asses and pops of their torsos were so heavily in this dance session that Greg had to leave from embarrassment.

Just over halfway of watching the same combination did her almond eyes settle on an intriguing figure wearing a blue outfit that matched her vibrant blue hair. Her torso and belly button were shown and, despite wearing such a bright outfit unlike the others, she out danced everyone around her. It wasn't often that someone could catch her attention so easily, so when the group finished, she circled the number she was wearing.

She watched her walk away to give the dance floor to the next group. For some reason, it took everything in her to peel her eyes away from the curvaceous body that was being flaunted. She forced herself to pay attention to the next few groups that had to preform.

It wasn't until later when Peridot asked Greg for all of the paperwork of the dancers she had decided to praise. She looked over the forms of registry and came across number twenty-seven. Crossing her legs at her desk in her condos office, she rubbed her bare cheek and studied the sheet and the pictures that came with it.

She couldn't wait for the next week to see this 'Lapis Lazuli' again.

✰♪✰♪✰♪✰

In collaboration with Lsapphy.

(Words: 1057)