xxxviii.

- - -
it's a common belief that positive thinking leads to a happier healthier life. as children we are told to smile, be cheerful, and put on a happy face. As adults we are told to look on the bright side, to make lemonade, and see glasses as half full.
- - -

"i always knew that wallace's parents were wealthy," arizona says, pacing round mark and lia's kitchen. "but not twenty five million dollar wealthy. i mean that's 'libraries named after you' kind of money, 'saved babies in africa and has dinner at the white house regularly' type of money. people don't give me that kind of money."

"you have an unfair advantage," callie says. "you work with children."

"oatmeal, side of fruit, wheat toast, hold the butter," mark says, holding up a plate of food.

"thank you," callie says, taking the plate and taking a seat on the couch next to lia.

"you know what?" arizona says. "that money is gonna make such a difference for so many patients."

"it's... it's really amazing," lia smiles.

"maybe i should start doing more cleft-palate kids. everyone's a sucker for those," mark ponders as he dishes up another plate of breakfast. "cheese omelet, extra butter, cinnamon toast, crispy bacon."

"mine!" lia says, grabbing the plate, before retaking her seat on the couch.

"twenty five million is pretty cool, right?" arizona asks, taking a seat at the counter.

"best birthday gift ever," lia nods.

"birthday gift?" callie raises her brow.

"well, 'c- 'cause the money's a gift," arizona shrugs.

"i mean, technically it's for the hospital, not arizona, but since your birthday's on friday..." lia begins, but is cut off by callie.

"how does lia know about your birthday and i don't?" she asks her girlfriend.

"birthdays are just days like any other days," arizona shrugs. "i don't like them. don't celebrate them. no big deal."

"twenty five million?" callie emphasises. "that's a big deal."

"crap. i'm gonna be late. i will see you there," arizona says, glancing at her watch before exiting the apartment.

"okay, she's downplaying it right?" callie turns to lia. "i'm her girlfriend. i have to do something for her birthday, right?"

"yes," lia nods at the same time as mark says, "no."

"a... a surprise party?" lia suggests.

"bad idea," mark shakes his head. "surprise parties are hostile. they're dark. people jump out and scream at you. they never come to any good."

■ ■ ■

"hey," lia smiles, as she takes a seat next to jackson in the cafeteria. "you haven't been on my service in a while. i thought you wanted to go into cardio?"

"i did," he says, taking a bite of his lunch. "but i think i want to go into plastics."

"didn't i tell you, you've got the face?" she teases and jackson chuckles. "what made you change your mind?"