xlvi.

- - -
when something begins, you generally have no idea how it's going to end. the house you're going to sell becomes your home, the roommates you were forced to take in become your family and the one night stand you were determined to forget becomes the love of your life.
- - -

"quit staring! i'm probably gonna change it back anyway," lia scolds jackson for staring at her new, blonde hair whilst she goes over her patient's charts.

"no, i- i get it," jackson chuckles. "you get dumped by your boyfriend, and you go for the extreme makeover. chicks always do that."

"i didn't get dumped. okay?" she raises her brow at jackson. "and i did not do this for mark. i just- it's valentine's day, and i wanted to change something. and- and i could change... i- i wanted to do something for me, okay? this was for me."

"how is that different than what i just said?" he asks her.

"i'm changing it back," she shouts to him, as he walks away, chuckling to himself. she scoffs before returning back to her charts.

"it must, uh, suck to work on valentine's day. i don't believe we've met," she hears mark say in a flirty voice from beside her, resulting in her snapping her head up to look at him. when she does he jumps back. "aah! what'd you do to your hair?"

"i changed it. i- i coloured it. i just..." she rambles before pausing. "wait. you thought i was someone else. you didn't know it was me and you were hitting on me?"

"no, no," mark attempts to protest. "i pretty much thought you were, you know, just some blonde."

"you are pathetic and hypocritical and slutty," she rolls her eyes at him.

"and you are no blonde. you can't pull that off. blondes are either badass or fun. and you're... you're a brunette," mark scoffs before walking away.

■ ■ ■

"sloan?" lia asks when she sees the young girl looking cluelessly around the lobby. "when did you get in? does mark know you're here?"

"um, no. my flight got in a little bit early, and i just took a cab over. i didn't want to bug him or anything," she shrugs. "somebody said that you guys have a free clinic? do you know where that is?"

"is everything okay?" lia asks, concerned.

"oh, yeah," sloan nods. "i just wanted someone to check me out... after the surgery and everything. maybe give me an ultrasound or something?"

"yeah, the clinic closed an hour ago," she informs her. "come on. i have a second. i'll take a peek for you."

sloan then follows lia to the prenatal wing of the hospital in order for her to carry out an ultrasound.

"baby looks perfect," lia smiles, looking at the screen.

"awesome," sloan grins. "um, can i, like, get that in writing?"

"oh, even better. here is a souvenir," she says, handing her a picture of the baby's sonogram.

"oh, um... well, don't you have some kind of, like, official form or hospital document that you can give me?" sloan asks.