lviii.

- - -
there are times in our lives when love really does conquer all. we are always looking for ways to ease the pain.
- - -

"hey, where are you going?" derek asks lia as he and meredith catch her wheeling her suitcase through the hallway as they are on their way out to work.

"um, to visit sabrina for two days," lia explains, referring to her cousin.

"oh, that's great," meredith smiles at her. 

"jackson arranged it. it was a surprise," she explains further.

"oh.." derek says, dropping his smile slightly.

"what so you mean by that?" lia asks, frowning at him. 

"nothing," he unconvincingly shakes his head. "just 'oh'."

"'cause it sounded like you meant, 'really, he arranged for you to visit your cousin at the exact time his mother's coming into town? guess he's not really that into you, otherwise, he'd want you to meet his mother like a normal person'." lia rambles with a forced chuckle.

"no. you two had a mother," meredith interjects softly, referring to lia and derek. "jackson and i had surgeons who procreated. it's just a little complicated."

"i- i- i shouldn't go, right?" lia asks meredith. 

"no, i think it's sweet that he wants you to get out of the line of fire," meredith smiles as a car horn honks from outside.

"that's my cab," lia informs them. "yeah, i- i should stay."

"i think you should probably get out while you have the chance," derek says, and lia nods before fumbling with suitcase and exiting the house. as she closes the door, meredith and derek shake their heads at her and exchange a chuckle before leaving as well.

■ ■ ■

"i can't believe robbins postponed our surgery for grand rounds," alex rolls his eyes as the residents are sat in the lecture theatre. "it's just a boring lecture."

"the chief said it was mandatory," meredith reminds him.

"one more hour of sleep, that's what it is," alex scoffs.

"oh, no. it's not gonna be boring," april shakes her head with a smile. "this is jackson's mother; catherine avery."

"she's a urologist, right?" cristina raises a brow.

"yeah," april nods. "i met her when i was an intern at mercy west. she was amazing."

"she is... a lunatic," jackson interjects, rolling his eyes.

"no, she's not. she's brilliant," april frowns. "she says these things that shock you, but then when you think about them later, they change your whole life."

"or they ruin your whole life," jackson rolls his eyes. "she's toxic. she's a meddler. my mom has no boundaries. be warned."

"hey, is that why you shipped lia out of state?" cristina challenges him.

"oh. you shipped lia out of state?" alex asks with a slight chuckle of disbelief.

"who hides his girlfriend under a rock while his mom comes into town?" cristina shakes his head with amusement.