lxxvii.

- - -
superheroes. soldiers. first responders. that's who we think of when we think of bravery. but surgeons should make the list too. surgeons don't wear capes or armor.
- - -

"when is the staring going to stop?" arizona asks, as she, lia, and callie are in the attending lounge, listening to the murmurs of the other attendings.

"as soon as the novelty wears off," callie rolls her eyes. "just ignore them."

lia puts her lab coat on, and turns round to see everyone staring at her, whilst muttering to each other.

"yes. okay, i am the crazy one," lia shouts to them. "i am the one who freaks out and screams at people... like that."

"go gawk at each other for a while," callie tells them before turning to lia. "are you okay?"

"would everybody please just stop asking if i'm okay? okay?" lia sighs, before walking out of the attending lounge.

■ ■ ■

"alright, who do i have? who's free?" bailey shouts as lia enters the e.r, closely followed by mark.

"i'm free. i'm good. i'll go," lia raises her hand as she runs over to bailey.

"he's my patient," alex argues. "i'll take him."

"book an o.r," bailey orders alex. "you can observe."

"i'm fine, and i'm free," lia insists, as mark shakes his head with warning eyes from behind her. bailey mirrors his head shaking slightly, and lia notices so she turns round to mark who stops. "b- what are you doing?"

"nothing," mark protests.

"meredith, are you free to scrub in?" bailey turns to meredith.

"absolutely. i-" meredith nods, but she is cut off by april running over.

"i'm available, 'cause you haven't been cleared for surgery, right?" april asks meredith.

"i'm standing right here," lia reminds bailey.

"kepner, go prep him," bailey orders. "i'll see you up there."

"i'm fine," lia insists, turning to mark.

"well, great," mark places his hand on her shoulder. "then you can keep an eye on kerry."

■ ■ ■

lia approaches alex who's stood with jackson, meredith, and cristina in one of the waiting areas, watching a game show.

"kerry wants to know how warren is doing," she informs him.

"intestinal perf. going into surgery," alex simply says, not even looking at her, before walking away.

"i'm never gonna operate again," lia sighs. "everyone thinks i'm gonna carve my initials into a patient."

"i'll never operate again because one man thinks i'm crazy," meredith rolls her eyes.

"hey, guys, look at this," jackson says, as a clip of the lightening striking appears on the news on the tv. they all fall silent, and watch.