lxxxii.

- - -
we, doctors, take pride in the fact that we can basically sleep standing up. anytime, anywhere. But it's a false pride, because the truth is after about twenty hours without sleep you might as well just come to work drunk. doctor or not.
- - -

lia sighs as she enters joe's, looking around until she sees derek, mark, callie, bailey, and arizona all sat at a table. she walks over to them and takes a seat across from mark, next to derek.

"what, you're back already?" callie asks in surprise, picking up arizona's arm to check her watch. "that date wasn't even, like, what, an hour?"

"i need a drink," lia groans, picking up a glass containing a blue liquid from the table.

"ooh, careful," arizona warns.

"hey, hey! that was mine," bailey points, clearly already drunk. "now you have to order me another one."

"oh, god. that's disgusting," lia winces, placing the empty glass back down on the table. "right. okay, so get this- his very first question- 'so what's your favourite food?'"

"what'd you say?" mark asks.

"mexican, but that's not the point. why would he ask me what my favourite food was? like he read that that's some good icebreaker from some internet handbook that was handed out at the loser fair? ugh!" lia groans, hitting her head on the table and staying there.

"this is why you don't meet people on the internet," derek highlights.

"you're married!" lia lifts a finger to shake at derek, but keeps her head on the table, and derek chuckles at her. "you don't get to have an opinion about my pathetic forays into internet dating."

"you do need a drink," mark says, sliding his scotch across the table to her.

"thank you," she lifts her head from the table to finish mark's scotch. once she has drank it all she turns to callie and arizona. "be thankful you two have each other and never have to go on a first date again. and that you have meredith. and you have warren. and you have julia. dating... is evil."

"get ready. get ready," lia hears cristina's voice coming from somewhere behind her, so she turns to see her pouring shots and drinks for a bachelor party. "chug! chug! chug! chug! oh, yeah! oh, yeah! who's first?! oh, whoo!"

"what the hell did i miss?" lia lets out a laugh of disbelief as she turns back to the group.

■ ■ ■

"how are we letting this happen?" lia asks, referring to cristina, as bailey drinks another one of cristina's creations. "i mean, seriously, how are we just okay with it?"

"oh, i'm not okay. i'm jealous," callie shakes her head. "cristina gets to live out the twenties we never got to cause we were stuck in med school."

"hey, i'm still in my twenties," lia protests.

"do you want me to hate you? do you?" callie asks, and lia takes a sip of her drink, earning a laugh from callie in response. "shut up then."

"watch, ten years from now, we'll all have a midlife crisis and end up doing the same thing," arizona says.

"except we'll be in our forties and won't look as cute," bailey adds whilst pouring everybody's leftover drinks into her glass.