clxiii.

- - -
over the past twenty years, one of the most valuable tools a doctor has is the algorithm.
- - -

"you guys have your vaginoplasty with jackson today, right?" lia asks richard and catherine as they're walking through the hospital. "that's so cool."

"you wanna scrub in?" richard offers. "that's if your not too busy already."

"really?" lia's eyes widen. "i'd love to!"

"here, look at this," catherine stops them walking and tilts the tablet in her hand to show her an animated clip of the procedure.

once lia's watched it, the supply closet door a few feet begins to slowly open, and when the three of them look up they see jackson and maggie, kissing, as they walk out.

"hey!" maggie greets with wide eyes when they pull apart and notice the three of them stood looking at them.

"hey. hey. hello," jackson nervously chuckles, looking down at his feet, and richard clears his throat whilst he, catherine, and lia force awkward smiles.

"we should..." maggie begins as she steps out of the supply closet. "um, good luck with your vagina."

"don't..." jackson shakes his head as maggie walks away. "i'm just gonna- excuse me."

jackson then closes the door again, with himself still inside. lia, catherine, and richard then all look at each other with bewilderment.

"yeah, i'm not scrubbing in," lia shakes her head.

- - -
your patient's main complaint goes into a box and then the formula helps you to decide what to do next.
- - -

"big day, mother," jackson says as he follows her and richard to their patient's room, and she turns to look at him. "you ready? anything, uh, bothering you?"

"i haven't said a word," catherine shrugs.

"you didn't have to," jackson frowns. "your face did."

"my face isn't saying anything," catherine insists, before turning to her husband. "richard, is my face saying something?"

"it's like reading hemmingway, dear," richard smiles and jackson shoots him a look before they proceed into michelle's patient room.

"good morning," michelle greets, pulling catherine in for a hug. "good morning, doctors."

"ah, good morning," richard nods.

"morning. you opening a flower shop?" jackson gestured to the dozens of vases of flowers littering here room.

"yeah. they're from my boyfriend. he thinks he's hilarious. sent me a book of georgia o'keefe prints, too," michelle chuckles. "i never dreamed this day would come. and i certainly never dreamed that a mother and son would build my vagina."

"and father," catherine adds.

"stepfather, about a- about a month," jackson corrects, before looking to richard. "so- no offence."

"uh, none taken," richard assures.

"well, family is family is family. like the saying goes," catherine smiles.