cxxix.

- - -
surgeons have a saying: all bleeding must stop. it's sort of our version of 'this too shall pass'. every crisis will eventually come to an end.
- - -

"you're up early," mark observes, walking out of their bedroom to find lia busy in the kitchen. he then takes a seat on a stool on the opposite side of the counter to her.

"it's christmas, mark," lia reminds him as she frantically moves around the kitchen.

"it's five thirty," he points out.

"i've invited half the freakin' hospital over for christmas dinner, which was a stupid idea because i can't cook. so i need to start now," lia explains, continuing her frantic preparation.

"at five thirty in morning?" mark asks, speaking slowly, and lia nods without looking at him. after a few moments of mark watching her intently in silence, he speaks again. "lia?"

"what?" lia answers, slightly harsh due to how stressed she is over the cooking.

"merry christmas," mark grins, and lia stops what she's doing.

"merry christmas," lia smiles before leaning over the counter and kissing mark.

■ ■ ■

richard and arizona are sat on lia and mark's couch singing baby it's cold outside whilst owen rests on the arm of the couch, accompanying them with his guitar.

derek is stood talking to mark across the room, keeping a close eye on richard, a slight frown on his face.

the other guests are all dotted around the apartment chatting in small groups whilst lia is busy cooking christmas dinner for them in the kitchen, much calmer than earlier.

derek approaches and stands across from her. she smiles softly at him as he leans on the countertop.

"he's drinking... isn't he? richard." derek exhales deeply. "he's off the wagon."

"well, he's drinking eggnog. it's christmas," lia shrugs. "everybody drinks eggnog at christmas."

"mm, some people do," derek nods. "recovering alcoholics don't."

"he's not an alcoholic," lia shakes her head lightly. "that was a misdiagnosis."

"is that what he's telling you?" derek raises a brow, almost in disbelief at lia's naivety. "lia, he is a surgeon and he is drinking, and he is an alcoholic. that could quickly become catastrophic."

"derek, drop it," lia warns before continuing to cook the food. after a few moments derek shakes his head before returning to where he was previously stood with mark.

■ ■ ■

"the apartment looks amazing, lia," maggie smiles at her sister.

"thanks," lia returns maggie's smile as she takes her seat between mark and meredith at the table.

"mm, and the food tastes amazing," amelia nods, taking another mouthful of turkey. this is followed by a chorus of appreciative humming from her other guests.