lxiii.

- - -
every patient's story starts the same way. it starts with them being fine, it starts in the before. they cling to this moment, this memory of being fine, this before, as though talking about it may somehow bring it back.
- - -

"okay, let's get started," richard says, standing at the head of the conference table, in front of all the attendings.

"yeah, let's do it," mark says, walking behind richard to take his seat. "got a lot of standing around to do today."

"he's right people," richard nods. "starting today, fifth year residents rotate in as lead surgeons."

"we've alerted the morgue," callie teases, which earns a laugh off most of her colleagues.

"attendings, you will observe and stay silent. offer help only when you absolutely have to," richard continues to explain.

"yeah, before you help them swim, let 'em sink a little," bailey adds.

"the next order of business; effective of nine am this morning, i have resigned from chief of surgery of seattle grace mercy west hospital," richard announces, and everyone looks at him in shock. including lia who knew nothing about it. "i will stay on the surgical staff. i will turn this meeting over to the new chief of surgery, dr. derek shepherd."

"thanks, dr. webber," derek says, standing up from his seat next to lia, and trading places with richard. "i know this comes as a surprise to all of you, too. and i appreciate, over the next couple of days, your help and patience. um, so now i have your call schedules, but i can have them dis-"

"wait," arizona cuts him off. "what happened?"

"why did it happen?" mark adds.

"is this the board?" lia quietly turns to her father. "are they forcing you to step down? hmm?"

richard doesn't answer lia, and derek doesn't answer the questioning doctors. instead, all the attendings begin murmuring amongst themselves, whilst bailey subtly scowls at derek.

■ ■ ■

"so, is it up yet?" meredith asks cristina as they are walking down the corridor together.

"oh, don't know," cristina shrugs. "you okay?"

"i have no choice. i'm clipping my first aneurysm today," meredith says, nonchalantly.

"well, i've got a valve replacement," cristina informs her. "my valve replacement. i hope i get a good o.r."

"hey, is it up yet?" alex asks, beginning to walk alongside them.

"not yet," meredith and cristina both tell him in unison.

"she's clipping her first aneurysm," cristina tells alex, before turning to meredith. "are you sure you don't want to start with something simpler?"

"yeah, like juggling chainsaws?" alex chuckles.

"oh, thanks. that's helping," meredith rolls her eyes, as they approach april and jackson.

"hey, is it up yet?" cristina asks april.

"it's going up now," april reveals as the five residents walk over to the o.r board, and stand in a line in front of it.