cxc.

- - -
there are some moments in the o.r that everything goes to hell, and no matter how much you've seen, how ready you are, how much help you have, nothing can truly prepare you.
- - -

"peggie, dayna, hi!" lia smiles when she finds dayna lying on an e.r bed being examined, whilst peggie at her side, holding their daughter, both wearing hospital gowns.

"oh, hey, dr. webber," peggie turns to greet her with a hug.

"hey, what's going on?" lia asks. "is the baby okay?"

"oh, yeah, she's fine. that one, not so much," peggie nods her head over to dayna.

"oh, i'm a mess," dayna sobs.

"peggie was driving and dayna..." owen begins before turning back to dayna.

"she puked all over me. like power-puked," peggie finishes for him. "and then i swerved and-"

"you hit a tree at thirty miles an hour," owen cuts her off. "all the airbags went off except for dayna's."

"ouch," lia winces. "did you hit your head?"

"no. my ribs feel a little sore," dayna cries.

"it's okay," lia soothes. "it's very common to have a release of emotion after an accident. especially once the body knows it's out of harm's way."

"'out of harm's way'," dayna laughs, harshly.

"babe," peggie interjects.

"i have stage two breast cancer and i just had my second round of chemo," dayna tells them. "that's why i got sick. so, the harm is most definitely still in the way."

- - -
you have to keep going, or your patient will die. the trouble is, in these moments, every instinct in your body tells you to freeze.
- - -

jackson is stood waiting for an elevator, and when the doors slide open, he finds maggie, invested in her phone, about to step out.

"uh, are you sure this is your stop?" jackson steps in front of her, and she looks up from her phone.

"well, maybe not," maggie shrugs, stepping back, allowing jackson to lead her into the elevator.

"maybe not, huh?" jackson smirks, leaning in to kiss her as the elevator doors slide shut again. "sorry i haven't been able to get free."

"please do not apologise for taking care of the people you love. especially, when those people are my sister and nieces," maggie says in between kisses as the elevator dings and the doors reopen.

"i want to take you camping," jackson tells her as they walk out of the elevator, holding hands. "spend some real time together."

"can't we spend some real time together in a hotel or at your place?" maggie crinkles her nose. "camping isn't exactly romantic or sexy."

"it can be. i went camping with lia once," jackson says, and mentally slaps himself for doing so. "i mean, it's something i really enjoy, and i want to do it with you."

"okay," maggie sighs. "we'll go camping."

■ ■ ■