Chapter 21: Life of Love

Jonas

When I was fourteen you could've told me that in fifteen years I would have a happy family with three children and a mate and I would've told you you were a fucking idiot. But honestly I was the idiot. I have two precious sons and a beautiful daughter along with a stunning partner.

It's interesting to see how River and I have aged. He has a more mature look and he grew out his hair. Meanwhile I have lost some muscle and a bit of my hairline. We also have stable job in the school district.

Then there are my children. Aiden is ten now but he is still the quiet and reserved child he was when he was a baby, he loves to draw and paint with River and reads quite a bit. Aiden is definitely a daddy's boy and spends most his time with River.

Then we have our second oldest at 8, Heath. Heath is what you would refer to as a handful. He has my hazel eyes and brown hair and like me he is energetic. He is more of my child. He loves soccer and I hope he will be excepted on the middle school team this year.

Lastly our daughter Kyanna. She is a normal for a 6 year old. Like me she is athletic and always challenges her brother to soccer matches. She usually beat him too. Her hair is raven black yet her eyes are hazel. Both her and Heath are dark but strangely Aiden is pale like River. I assume it's a first born thing.

I sit beside Kayden as his son Leon plays with Jaxon( Rylan and Jazmins kid ), and Aiden at the swings. Aiden stops suddenly as Layne (Jon and DeShawns kid) runs up to him. They do a little hand shake then return to the others.

Isaias, Deshawn, Leo And River are at a parent meeting in the school which is why we are out here, waiting. I sigh, sitting forward. Kyanna suddenly screeches at Heath, kicking him. Heath yells. Those two are a piece of work.

" Hey, next time you do that you two will have to do Aidens chores," I yell.

They pause mid-fight then part bitterly. Kyanna's ponytail looks like she fought a raccoon. I watch them as they go to separate ends of the play ground.

Now that the killer of my family has been caught I can Rest In Peace knowing my family is safe.

" Your kids are quite the handful," Kayden teases.

I chuckle, " They are only like this because River isn't here. He rules with an iron fist."

" Yeah, Jay had mentioned that," Kayden mutters, watching the kids.

River returns with his little group, holding a folder of papers. I get up to greet him but Aiden beats me to it.

" Hey Dad!" He chirps.

River smiles, patting his head, "Hey Kiddo. Go get your siblings so we can go home."

" Ok!" Aiden says happily, running to the other two.

River smiles, greeting me a kiss. I smile, taking his hand and waiting for the kids.

------------------

I walk upstairs to the bedroom as River puts the kids to bed. It sucks being sent away because you're a push over. I glance at my closet, pairs of shoes pulled out of their place. Dammit Heath, how many times does he have to do this?

Angrily I walk over and begin putting away the shoes. Most of these we don't even wear anymore. I take one of River's shoes. It's so beat up and old, even the sole is popping out. Why does he have this if it's this beat up? I peel up the sole and a folded up piece of paper sits under it. Have I found a vow?

I unfold the paper.

River

Putting Heath to bed is like snake charming, at first it sounds cool but actually it doesn't work and chaos is ensued. I drag myself to my room where Jonas resides. I open the door to him sitting on the beside with only the lamp on. He holds a letter in his lip hand as he looks up at me.

" What do you got babe?" I ask, closing the door. He's in a bad mood, I can feel it.

" Why didn't you tell me?" He asks.

I frown, " Tell you what?"

He waves the letter angrily, " THIS RIVER! THIS LETTER FROM YOUR MURDEROUS FUCKING MOTHER!"

I step back, " Baby calm down, the kids are sleeping."

" Calm down? How can I fucking calm down when my mate is the son of the woman who killed my father!" He says through gritted teeth.

He found it... the letter. I forgot I even had it.

" Why didn't you tell me?" He snaps.

" I didn't think it was an appropriate time," I mutter.

He glares, " So you never thought that maybe some time in the past eleven years that you couldn't find a single FUCKING MOMENT?!!"

I flinch, " No- I..."

He pinches the bridge of his nose, " Why did you really hide it?"

" I was scared of running everything," I whimper, tears rolling down my cheeks, " I was scared of losing you and the kids and everything I love!"

He frowns, he eyes softening. He walks up and embraces me. I cling to him as I sob into his chest, my body heaving. He squeezes me, trying to calm me down.

" I love you so much... I'm so sorry," I cry, holding onto him.

He steps back, wiping the tears from my cheeks. He kisses below my left eye then my forehead. Small print of tear sit in circles on his his shirt from where I sobbed.

" You can't change what your mother did but you also had nothing to do with it. I don't blame you for it, only hate you for. I am just angry that you didn't tell me, " He sighs, " I still shouldn't have yelled. I'm sorry."

He holds my hands, rubbing my palms. His fingers have gotten rough with age. Warmth tingles through my body as the tension dies.

" I'm sorry I never told you," I say quietly, " I'm ashamed of her actions."

" Don't be!" He says quickly, " Don't be ashamed. You had nothing to do with it. I still love you, we just now have that weird in law feud thing."

I smile at his little joke. His eyes wander to the doorway. I look back at the kids standing curiously with the door open.

" I told you everything was fine," Kyanna says in annoyance, grabbing the boys and taking them away.

Jonas and I laugh. We made some incredible children.