Edd - Under attack

Paul and Patryck had turned their backs towards us, pointing on some big world map that was hanging on the wall and whispering something about a world domination plan that Red Leader apparently had. I had already stopped caring about what they were talking about, so I couldn't care less about this plan. I just wanted to finally drink some delicious cola, but they wouldn't give me any. Bastards. If I kidnapped them I would let them do whatever they wanted. After all, this was what made being kidnapped fun. There was a reason we had some fond memories of Commander Bai despite the fact that he tried to get rid of us.

Matt had somehow managed to fall asleep on his chair a while ago and was quietly snoring, sometimes even muttering 'I love you, too, Matt' or similarly strange sentences that made you want to get as far away as possible. I was just glad I wasn't close enough to hear any more. His murmurs already made me feel uncomfortable enough without actually understanding all of them. He hadn't really slept much before we were kidnapped, but I was really not sure if falling asleep was right in this kind of situation. But why should I even care? It wasn't my problem if they got angry again.

Suddenly, a loud siren interrupted my thoughts, and made me look around in curiosity as screams began to echo through the building. There were bangs and commands being yelled. What was going on? Was there a fire somewhere? Hopefully. They'd all get what they deserved. But then I might also burn alive alongside them and not be able to drink cola and make puns anymore unless I came back as a zombie, so it might not be that good actually...

"What's going on?" Paul shouted. "Why is there a siren going off? Did Yuu press the wrong button again? That idiot!"

Patryck ran to a monitor on our left side and started repeatedly tapping on the screen with his shaking fingers. He was sweating and looked very tense, but I didn't know why. I couldn't see much. Shouldn't they be trained to stay calm in such situations? What kind of army was this? They looked like amateurs. I know I was only in one army, but still. Hillary wouldn't have allowed such nonsense.

"Code 999," he said, looking shocked by what he was seeing. His face went very pale, and I wondered what this strange code meant. I turned to Matt to ask him if he had any idea, but he was still snoring like sleeping beauty. How could he still be asleep while there was a loud siren making it hard to understand people? I would never understand this narcissist.

Paul raised an eyebrow. "And...?"

The other soldier stared at him in disbelief. "You don't know what code 999 is? Are you serious?"

"We have, like, three thousand different codes in case of anything happening. How am I supposed to know what this code is?" Paul replied, slowly lighting a cigarette. "I'm a pilot and soldier, not a mathematician."

"Code 999 is attack on the Red Army Base by a terrifying monster!" Partyck yelled, pointing at the screen. I was too far away to see much, but something dark purple was flashing across the picture before disappearing in a different corridor.

"This is an oddly specific code..." I murmured.

Both soldiers slowly turned to me, and a wide grin appeared on Paul's face. I knew it couldn't mean anything good. "You know, we could just feed them to the monster if-"

"No! Stop suggesting to kill them all the time! Why do you always want to kill them? Tord wouldn't like it if you did that! They are his friends!" Patryk growled, glaring at his coworker.

Paul snorted, "He wouldn't care. Don't you remember when we talked about them with him before he left? He doesn't think he needs them and they aren't even his friends in his opinion."

"W-what...?" I asked quietly, looking from one to the other. That just... couldn't be true. Tord was... Tord was our friend. He might do weird and stupid things sometimes, but we all did that every now and then. Why would he ever say something like that? They... they had to be lying. Tord just wasn't like that. He would always be our friend. Right?

The siren stopped, and was replaced by terrified screams, gunshots and the roars of the monster. And Matt still didn't wake up. from any of it. The nerve of this guy. The two men had finally noticed that he wasn't awake anymore, and exchanged confused looks, before turning to me to look for an explanation. "Nobody really understands him," I simply replied. "Please just don't ask."

The next few things happened almost so fast that I didn't really know what was going on until the monster was standing right next to me; first, a loud bang. One wall was completely shattered in no times. Pieces of it were thrown across the room, hitting Paul. Patryck suddenly had a gun in his hands, but then was hit by a large tail and thrown against the wall, knocking him out. Matt was screaming in horror (When the hell had he woken up?). And I was suddenly lying face down on the floor. It all happened so fast, I barely had time to scream...

Then I was suddenly pulled into the air. The monster must have grabbed the chair I was still sitting on. I closed my eyes. If I didn't see it, it would be easier to die. I wouldn't be so afraid. That was what I told myself. But the pain didn't come. Instead, I heard Matt gasp, "Torm!"