8. A distraction.

Chapter 8: A distraction.

Piece of shit.

"Um, I don't mean to be rude but what is going on?" I ask them.

They share a laugh then they stare at me in surprise.

"Wait, so you really don't know?" The girl with the platinum blonde hair asks.

"No, I haven't checked in on the rumor mill lately." I tell them.

"Well, this is what's going on." She says, showing me a picture on her phone.

Zachary is laying in bed with a smile on his stupid face, as a very satisfied Courtney lays on top of his body.

"Unbelievable." I mutter to myself.

"I know right." She replies.

Bile starts to rise in my throat and my stomach churns.

I feel like puking.

I storm out of the restroom. Walking over to the boy's locker room, I know I'm not allowed in here, but I'm not thinking straight.

I open the door to the locker room and I am greeted with the repugnant smell of sweat.

Sheesh.

Don't these boys take showers, there are showers in this locker room.

This I was sure of.

I walk past a boy trying to cover his body with a towel.

"Don't worry lad, I've seen bigger." I tell him, smiling at him as he blushes in embarrassment.

Chad stands in front of me, licking his lips.

"Hey, you came all the way to get a piece of Chad. Don't fret, that can be arranged." He says and my skin crawls.

"Where's Zachary?" I ask him angrily.

"Why so riled up, mami." He says smirking.

"You know what, just move out of my way." I tell him.

I walk forward and he does the same, hindering me from walking over to the other side of the locker room.

"Whoa, take it easy girl, there's enough Chad to go round. Don't rush." He says and I punch him in the throat.

He falls to the ground and groans in pain.

I head to the showers, Zachary had to be here somewhere.

The sound of running tap water fills my ears as I step into the shower room that held seven showers. The sound increases as I reach the middle of the room.

"Zachary?" I call out.

Zachary steps out of the shower with a white towel on his waist.

Droplets of water drip down Zachary's toned abs.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." He says, smirking.

I had not realized that I was staring at him. Like, literally drooling over his abs.

"Very funny." I say in a child-like tone.

"Did you come here to make me take a shower with you, because I just got out." He says smiling.

"No. I came to ask you about your little rendezvous with Courtney and why there's a picture of you two in bed together." I ask him, folding my arms.

"Oh, you mean Courtney's little threat pic." He says, with a smug look on his face.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him, confused.

"Courtney's mad at me for airing her messages last night, so she sent that picture to the entire student body." He says, looking less concerned.

"Why would she do that?" I ask him, folding my arms as I stare at him.

He must think I have "Lie to me, I'm dumb." written on my forehead.

His story doesn't add up at all.

"Because she knows that I'm into you." He says coming closer.

"Yeah right." I scoff.

"I mean if I wasn't into you would I do this?" He says, smiling.

"Do what?" I ask, dumbfounded.

Zachary places his hand on my neck making me look into his eyes. He kisses my neck, then my cheek, before planting a kiss on my lips. Our tongues dance together as jolts of electricity, spark when they meet.

I pull away from him, trying to catch my breath.

"You know you cloud my judgment when you kiss me." I tell him.

"What are you trying to decide on?" Zachary asks me.

"If I should walk away." I tell him.

"I like you, a lot. I want to see where this leads, so don't bother yourself about that picture." He says, caressing my cheek.

"What if it goes viral and the teachers see it?" I ask him.

"I'm pretty sure they already have, but I'll handle it." He says, reassuring me.

I smile and I hug him.

***

Well, Zachary didn't handle shit.

As I walk into school on Monday morning, I see posters of Zachary and Courtney around the school halls. The picture had not only gone viral but it was now printed on A3 paper and pasted around the school walls.

"Oh no." I mutter to myself, as I walk further down the halls.

"Hey Val!!!" Adam yells from behind me.

"What?" I shout, turning around.

"Did you do this?" He asks, pointing at the poster in his hand.

"You can't be serious." I say with disbelief.

"Because Courtney is telling everyone you did." Adam says and I laugh.

"My own best friend is asking me these questions based on Courtney's stupid claims." I say, folding my arms.

"It's not like that, Vee. It's just that Courtney's a victim here. She's even threatening to tell the principal." He says and I slap him.

"I can't believe you, Adam. You've been brainwashed suddenly by Courtney, that you can't even tell the difference between good and evil. I literally just walked into school and you're telling me this. Do better, Adam." I tell him, walking away.

He just stands there in the middle of the hallway with his hands on his cheeks.

I walk to my locker and I take out my Geometry textbook.

I enter the classroom and I sit down in the front row.

Mr. Daval, my Geometry teacher, comes in and starts teaching. I can't even decipher what he's saying because all I'm hearing is "blah, blah, blah, shape, blah, blah, calculate." He's really talking to himself at this point because my mind is somewhere else right now.

I just need a distraction.