15. Bedroom

Chapter 15: Bedroom.

Zachary let the mother of his child get an abortion. I can't wrap my head around this.

"Why? How could you let that happen?" I ask him, waiting for him to respond.

"She was too young to have a baby and both of our parents agreed that it was the best way to deal with the situation." Zachary says, running a hand through his hair, with his other hand in his pocket.

"The best way to handle the situation? What if she died?" I ask him, raising my voice.

"But she didn't." He says, holding my hand.

"When did this happen?" I ask him, curiosity getting the best of me.

"Eight months ago." He says and I stare at him with wild eyes.

"Wait, this is recent?" I ask in shock.

This happened two months before I got back. This person is definitely in this town.

I'm going to find her.

"Do I know her?" I ask him.

"No, you don't. She doesn't even live in this town." He says, rolling his eyes.

"I feel sad all of a sudden." I tell him.

"Well, don't be. It's all good now. You're the only person I want to have a baby with anyway." He says, tucking a loose strand of my hair behind my ear.

A car horn ruins the moment.

"That's me." I tell him.

"Goodnight, Val." He says, letting go of my hand.

"Goodnight Trouble." I tell him as I walk to the car.

I take one last glance at Zachary who is watching me before I enter the car.

***

"Why did your parents choose to name you Valarie with an 'A' in the middle, instead of Valerie with an 'E' in the middle?" Adam asks me, stealing a French fry from my plate.

House Of Cubes was packed today. Every booth was filled, even the tiny one by the toilet.

"I don't know, they were trying to be creative I guess." I say with nonchalance.

When I was younger, I just assumed my parents couldn't spell.

"By messing up a perfectly good name?" He asks, staring at me in confusion.

"I don't know Adam, just eat your fries." I say, yelling at him.

"Fine, but I'm taking your soda for yelling at me." He says, reaching across the table and grabbing my soda.

"Baby." I say, pouting at him.

"Child." He replies, sticking his tongue out at me.

"What are we doing?" Adam says, chuckling.

"I don't even know." I reply, smiling at him.

The bell at the door rings as Spencer walks into the restaurant.

A couple gets up from their booth and leave the restaurant.

Well, this is awkward.

I haven't seen Spencer since his big brawl with Zachary.

Our eyes meet and I smile at him. He just nods and turns the other way. So, I guess he's mad at me.

"What are you looking at?" Adam says, staring at me.