28. Spill.

Chapter 28: Spill.

I am awoken by my mother shaking the life out of me.

"Valarie, wake up. We have guests." My mother says, shaking my hand.

"What? Who?" I yawn in her face.

"Fix your breath and come downstairs." She tells me before she leaves my room.

I look over at my clock and I see that it's 9:54 am. I stretch before I crawl out of bed. I brush my teeth and hop in the shower. I walk out of the shower, drying my body with my towel. I take out a pair of skinny jeans and a sweater. That'll have to do. I wear the items of clothing before I head downstairs.

The McCains are in my living room and my mouth opens in shock. A sinister smile is plastered on Ashton's face.

"Excuse her manners." My mother says as I just stand there with my mouth wide open.

My mother and Ashton's parents make their way to the dining area. It's just me and Ashton in the living room.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask him, completely pissed off.

"Remember that arranged marriage that your mother keeps going on about, well it's happening." He says, staring at me.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him again.

"Well, McCain Hotels is teaming up with Stone Construction to build a hotel in Chicago, where we'll be schooling." He says and I stare at him, confusion written all over my face.

"We? Wait...you're going to Bradford?" I ask him in pure shock.

"Yup." He says and I groan.

"Well, bring the whole high school then. The more I try to get away from everyone, they just keep following me." I complain.

"Speak for yourself. I applied to Bradford months ago. It's like every jock's dream." He tells me.

"So, what does Chicago and the hotel have to do with us?" I ask him, switching back to our conversation earlier.

"They want us to run it." He tells me, looking scared.

"Why do you look like you want to shit your pants? It's just a hotel, we can do that." I tell him.

"Yeah, but they want us to get married first." He says biting his fingernail.

"No way in hell." I say, shaking my head.

"You do it or you don't go to college." He tells me.

"That's bullshit, my parents won't jeopardize my future for some stupid hotel." I tell him.

"We shall see." He says before he walks off to the dining area.

***

"Beautiful steak." Mr. McCain says, cutting into his steak for another bite.

"Thank you. Pierre's a mastermind." My mother says, praising our chef.

I haven't touched my steak, so I don't even know what it tastes like. I've lost my appetite thinking about this whole Chicago thing.

"Valarie dear, did you hear the good news? Ashton got into Bradford." My mother tells me before she takes a sip of her wine.

"That's great." I say, acting like I didn't already know that.

"Your father and I were talking about you and Ashton's relationship  and we think you should take it to the next level." My mother says with a smile on her face.

"How so?" I ask her, folding my arms.

"We were thinking...marriage?" She says, looking at my dad and he nods.