18. Lie to me.

Chapter 18: Lie to me.

"Why did you do that in there?" I ask Zachary, whose eyes are bloodshot.

He doesn't respond.

"Are you high?" I ask him, touching his shoulder.

"No." He says before he snaps his head up.

"I've had enough of Ashton's shit." Zachary yells.

"Calm down. What happened?" I ask him, a stern look on my face.

"Did you go out with Ashton the night I told you about Steph?" He asks me, and my heart sinks at the name he calls her.

"I did." I admit.

"What the fuck, Val? Why would you do that?" He asks, giving me a serious look.

"Because he's my friend and we were just hanging out." I tell him.

"Because he's your friend doesn't mean he has the right to touch you." He yells across the halls.

"I...he didn't-" I try to speak but I'm totally speechless.

"How did you know about that?" I ask him.

"Does that even matter, the problem here is that he touched you." Zachary spits.

"He grabbed my thigh, it's not like he harassed me or something." I say, getting frustrated.

"You wanted it, didn't you?" Zachary says and I stare daggers at him.

"It's not that big of a deal, move on. And I'm not yours to begin with." I point out.

"But you're mine." Zachary yells, his voice carrying down the hall.

Jesus.

"I'm not yours. Well, I was yours but you lost me. You chose drugs over me and now you're choosing Stephanie over me." I tell him in anger.

"Stephanie was a mistake." He blurts out.

"Oh really." I hear a voice say behind me.

I turn around and I see Stephanie standing by the lockers, with a basket of cookies in her hands.

What is she doing here?

"I figured you'd be hungry, so I baked you some gingerbread cookies, but I guess that was also a mistake...like me." Stephanie says, turning back around.

"Wait Steph, don't go." Zachary says, running his hand through his hair. Stephanie just keeps on walking.

"I'll be inside, don't want to distract you from chasing your prize." I tell Zachary before I walk back into my chemistry class.

***

"Adam Hendrix, I am going to kill you!!!" I yell as I chase Adam down his wooden steps.

"You'll never catch me." Adam gloats three feet away from me.

"You're dead." I tell him as I jump on his back.

He twirls around and I almost fall off.

"Give it back." I tell him, grabbing his brown hair.

"Never!!!" He says before he throws me on the ground.

I fall on my bottom and I groan in pain.

Adam is a dead man walking.

Adam walks out moments later, completely composed, like we were not just clamoring for my Nintendo Wii a minute ago.

"I'm sorry about your butt." He says smiling.