9. Out of the car.

Chapter 9: Out of the car.

Courtney probably leaked that picture to get attention and now she's going around telling everyone that I did it.

"Care to share?" Mr. Daval asks, staring at me.

"Huh." I reply, breaking from my thoughts.

"You're obviously daydreaming. A penny for your thoughts?" Mr. Daval asks, folding his arms.

"I'm not." I deny.

"You are distracted. How about a little trip to detention to widen your attention span." He says with an evil grin.

I sigh in my seat and Mr. Daval gives me a wicked stare.

"Up, up, and away." He says, signaling me to stand up.

"Ugh, I hate this school so much." I mutter under my breath.

"What was that, Miss Stone?" Mr. Daval asks.

"Nothing." I reply quickly.

"It seems like you have a problem with detention. To the principal's office then." He says smiling.

"No, no. Detention's fine." I tell him, faking a smile.

"You're in no room to negotiate, young lady. Get up, let's go." Mr. Daval says.

I stand up reluctantly and I follow Mr. Daval out of the classroom.

I walk behind him until we get to the principal's office, he tells me to walk in front of him as we enter the office.

What I see next is unexpected.

Zachary and Courtney are in the principal's office.

"Sir, Miss Stone here, thinks it's better to daydream in my class than actually listen to my lesson." Mr. Daval tells the principal, Mr. Hatcher.

He's making a big deal out of nothing, literally.

"Oh, I see. A little bit of detention will straighten her out." Mr. Hatcher says.

I hate my life.

"Can I go now?" I ask, slightly irritated.

Zachary stares at me biting his bottom lip.

"Oou, what a feisty one we have here." Mr. Hatcher says, folding his arms.

"You see what I'm talking about." Mr. Daval says in frustration.

"Thank you, Mr. Daval, I'll take it from here." The principal tells him.

"You sure?" Mr. Daval asks, putting his hand in his pocket.

"Yes, you have a class to teach." Mr. Hatcher tells him.

Mr. Daval nods and leaves the office.

"Valarie Stone, Barkridge High's finest." Mr. Hatcher says, smiling at me.

"Sir, can we go now?" Zachary butts in.

"No, you think because daddy pays a huge amount in the P.T.A fund, you're free to go?" Mr. Hatcher asks him, raising an eyebrow.

"No. I just think that I'm not at fault here." Zachary tells him.

"Not at fault? You and this young lady right here defiled the halls of Barkridge High with illicit posters of you and Miss Bridgeport." Mr. Hatcher yells.

"Why would I do this to myself, this whole thing doesn't even make sense. Look, I'm a victim here." Courtney says, folding her arms.

"Oh, are you now?" I say, flipping my hair to the side.

Courtney gives me an irritated look but she doesn't speak.

Thought so.

"Mr. Hatcher, I'd like to get my detention slip and go now." I tell him.

"Oh no." Mr. Hatcher says as he bursts into laughter.

"What's so funny?" Courtney asks him, folding her arms.

"You guys aren't getting detention, you're getting suspended." Mr. Hatcher informs us.

"Oh, hell no. I didn't even do anything." I tell him.

"You obviously did something wrong for Mr. Daval to bring you to my office." Mr. Hatcher tells me.

"Since when is daydreaming a punishable offense?" I ask him, slightly raising my voice.

"Since today." Mr. Hatcher says, smiling.

"I don't deserve the same punishment as these two fornicators. I'm an honor roll student, I can't afford to get suspended." I tell him.

"What's your deal? We're getting suspended too." Courtney says in a high-pitched voice and I want to smack the taste out of her mouth.

"No one was talking to you." I tell her as I turn to face Mr. Hatcher.

Zachary just stands there with a smile on his face.

***

And just like that, I was a criminal. I know I'm overreacting but getting into trouble was unlike me.

At least not until I met trouble in the flesh.

Getting suspended was definitely not on my agenda for this school year. For a girl who has no vices, getting suspended isn't quite apropos. I broke the news to my parents two days ago. They didn't even care about it. They were more concerned about their business trip to Cabo than my life. They are the perfect example of workaholics.

Everything else comes after their jobs, including family.

It's been two days since my two-week suspension started. I was doing time for a crime I didn't even commit. It's a crazy way to live.

Well, I'm going to see a movie with Hannah today.

I apply bubble gum pink lip gloss on my soft pink lips. Then I straighten my hair with my flat iron, I grab my purse from my dresser and I head out the door. I stand on my porch waiting for Hannah to show up. The spring breeze makes my hair sway with the melodies of the wind. Hannah's car pulls up in front of my driveway. I get inside her car and my nostrils are greeted with the smell of lavender.

"Your car smells nice." I tell Hannah.

"Thanks." She says dryly.

"Um, is there a problem." I ask her.

"Um, no. Everything's fine. Why would you think there was a problem." She asks.

"It's just...nevermind." I tell her, not wanting to start any drama.

"Just spit it out already." She says making a U-turn towards the movie theater.

"Fine. Adam totally took Courtney's side in the whole nudes getting leaked fiasco. Like our years of friendship meant nothing to him." I say, touching my wrist.

"And what does this have to do with me?" Hannah asks, parking the car in the parking lot.

"Nothing." I tell her, giving her a fake smile.

***

The drive back home with Hannah is awkward for two reasons.

One, She forgot her wallet in her purse at home and I didn't bring any money so we just watched old ladies in jumpsuits dance around the mall all day. And two, we just needed to talk.

"How has your suspension been?" She asks me, as she stops at a traffic light.

"You act so innocent but I know that you're the one who printed out those photos and pasted them around school." I accuse her.

"Wow." Hannah says, staring at me in disbelief.

"I-I can't believe you'd think that I'd-" She tries to speak further but I cut her off.

"Save it." I tell her as I hop out of the car.