24. Prom.

Chapter 24: Prom.

"I can't believe it's been four years already. I mean, I remember freshman year like it was yesterday." I tell Adam.

"Like who doesn't? You had blue hair back then. Everyone remembers you." Adam says, chuckling softly.

"It's just so sad that I won't see your face every day." I whine.

I stare at Adam and all the memories we've had since freshman year resurface in my mind and I start crying.

"Aww, come here." Adam says before he walks over and hugs me. I sob lightly into his chest and he pats my head slowly.

"It's going to be fine, Vee. I promise." He says looking into my eyes.

I nod and I blow my nose on his shirt.

"Sorry." I tell him, wiping my nose with the back of my palm.

"Well, how are things with Zachary?" Adam asks me before he sits on his bed.

"We're good. I guess." I shrug.

"And Hannah?" He asks, eager for an answer.

"I'm afraid that ship has sailed." I tell him.

I walk over to Adam's dresser and I see a black ring.

"What's this?" I ask him, with the ring in my hand.

"My mom got it for me." He says scratching his head.

"Your mom?" I ask, staring at him, curious.

"Yeah." He nods.

"Well, I better head out." I say before I place the ring back where I found it.

"Drive safe, spaghetti Stacy." He says as he hugs me.

"I will." I tell him.

***

Prom night. The event every high school student looks forward to. Well, mine is tonight and I have been silently freaking out. It's my last social event before graduation.

I walk down the marble stairs that lead to the front door. Ashton is standing at the bottom of the steps and his mouth falls open when he glances my way.

What is he doing here?

I descend from the last step and he takes my hand in his.

"You look stunning." He tells me and I frown.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him, furious.

"Your mother said that you didn't have a date and asked if I could come over." He tells me and I keep scowling at him.

"Stay away from me." I warn him.

"Oh, I see you two are all set." I hear my mother say behind me.

"Yup. We're really excited." I say leaning into Ashton to give my mother a show.

"Don't forget this Ashton." My mother says as she hands him a blue corsage.

"Well, we have to get going." I tell my mother who is whispering something into Ashton's ear.

We head for the door and my mother yells "Use protection." and I internally vomit.

Ashton's car is really cold, which is really great because I am already sweating.

"I know this is weird, but I'm doing this for your mum." Ashton says after a minute of driving in silence.

"Then stop. Just stop. I thought you liked Courtney. I want to go to prom with my boyfriend like every normal girl at prom. You're getting in the way of that." I tell him.