💎Chapter 1💎- New Life

2 years later...

It was one thirty am in the morning. The hospital was so silent... As the quietness grew deeper, Sona could hear her own steady heart rhythm from within herself. She clicked her pen on the table again and again, analysing the x-ray reports deeply.

There was a deep problem in the patient's lung.

Quickly taking her pen again, she scribbled some notes on her notepad and adjusted her glasses. It was close to two a.m. and she had to pack up soon. But the thought of going home never crossed her mind. She just seemed to be unfazed by the fact that it was way past people's bedtime. She found no motivation to wake up and get home.

The journey home seemed to be too unrealistic. She had nothing to look forward in her so-called 'home'. No joy, no excitement and no family!

"Doctor Sha, it's an emergency!" the male nurse's panicked voice made her face up. She contorted her face into a frown and sighed. Looking at her wristwatch, she calmly stood up from her chair.

"What's the case?"

"It's an accident. Some drunk motorist hit a young lady on the street.... He-"

"Who's admitted?" Sona quickly cut him in.

"Both of them are admitted doctor. They are in the second floor.... Unfortunately, no other doctors are available at this time. Could you......c-come and c-check?" the nurse stammered and gulped visibly as he saw Sonakshi's eyes turning cold.

Without saying anything, she flicked her pen to the side and walked out gracefully. It didn't take them long to reach the second level where both the patients were laid on the long stretcher-beds. There was no emotion or empathy in her eyes when she faced the victim's parents crying there. She threw them a irritated glance and clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"How are these tears going to help them?" she muttered rudely under her breath and placed the stethoscope in her ears.

Checking the lady's heartbeat, she quickly instructed the nurse nearby to take her inside to the wardroom. Meanwhile, the guy who was admitted next was also breathing in his critical state. Sona looked at him and gave a dead-panned look.

The relatives of the guy were looking at Sona expectantly, but she leisurely ignored them and walked inside. One of the lady in her mid-thirties, instantly ran behind Sona and stopped her.

"Doctor.... Doctor, my son..... you haven't examined him, have you?" she asked in an exhausted tone.

"I am sorry miss, but I don't treat alcoholic patients!" she stated in a professional tone, making all the blood run out from the lady's face.

"Doctor.....but he is in a serious condition. If you don't help.... he may end up losing his life....." she cried.

"Too bad! He should have thought about it before drinking and driving carelessly.... If you are very concerned on saving him, then please go and admit him in some other hospital or wait till the other doctors are available. I can't be bothered about people who are queuing to die.....as I have more important things like saving the lady whom your son tried to kill!" she spat heartlessly and walked away.

The lady there started crying vigorously continued pleading to Sona while she walked away. But Sona went deaf ears to her cries. The nurse who stood beside quickly caught up with Sona and stopped her.

"Doctor doctor....pity them... It's really late and there's no one here at this time."

"Do I look like I care Drake?"

"Doctor Sha.." Drake was nervous as he looked at Sona's cold eyes, ".... I will try calling up a few doctors immediately. But until then, can we at least proceed him to the ICU?" he spoke anxiously.