💎Chapter 5💎- Sonakshi's Rebirth

(Flashback continues...)

"Sir...Your wife wants to see you immediately. She's amidst the critical delivery.... Could you proceed to the ward on the other side.." The nurse said. Dev quickly wiped his tears and rushed inside hastily.

The fear sat on his chest like a rock, preventing him from breathing or moving forward. His insides clenched when he saw Sonakshi surrounded by a few doctors with masks covering their face. He was given a ward dress and face-mask to cover himself before stepping inside the labour ward.

Nevertheless, he still felt cold and shivery. His legs went weak as he saw Sona laying down lifelessly with an oxygen mask.

When he walked closer, she slowly removed the mask worn on her face and looked at him. Chills crept up his spine when his eyes met hers'. He could never look at them again without guilt resurfacing. His ego, pride and assumptions all fell weak at her feet.

"Mr Sharma, this delivery is very critical. We need your wife's cooperation in this... Her consciousness and strength to push out the baby is very crucial for both the mother and child's life." He said.

Dev didn't understand a single thing that the doctors mumbled after that, but he could only understand one thing. This delivery was very life-threatening for Sonakshi and there were high possibilities of her death if something wrong were to happen. Just the thought of that clenched his heart.

Dev lost his strength at that moment as tears started brimming in his eyes.

"Heyy jaan...." He slightly bent down and held Sona's fragile fingers.

He could see that she was in deep pain and trying hard to speak a few words to him. He forced himself to gather some courage and be next to her.

"I..... I know that I wouldn't survive this." She spoke softly, stunning a few nurses there too. Dev's eyes widened.

"No... that's not true. Just shut up and focus...." Dev's heart pounded loudly against his chest as he held her palms tightly.

"Dev....."

"Yea Sona..."

"Don't forget that I am a doctor too" she left a humourless chuckle. Her eyes were not looking at him any longer, as she looked at the white ceiling with a sad smile.

It made Dev's heart bleed when he realised that she was aware of what was happening with her. But there was no fear in her eyes. She seemed content and relaxed even during that painful moment. She didn't feel the need to struggle anymore. She felt like giving up was easier than fighting....

Finally, she was in the stage where she was willingly giving up.

There was nothing to fight for in the world... she had lost everything she had.

Love, life, child, husband, family, friends, parents, self-respect, dignity, emotions, happiness....... All were gone.

She bit her dried lips to prevent her screams for tearing others apart. Every time she felt the contraction, she squeezed Dev's fingers tightly.

"Mam...please breathe and push. Your baby is crowning." The doctor said in a loud voice, distracting both Dev and Sona.

Dev held Sonakshi's palms tightly in an attempt to console her, but the real scared one was him. He was scared to death and he didn't know how to hide his emotions. Beads of perspiration dripped down the sides of his forehead while he observed Sona's face constricting in pain. Her eyes rolled up as a loud sob left her lips.