39. We're not alone

(25th June)

The whole group stood on the bus looking down into the pitch-black tunnel. Worry was radiating off everyone just looking into the blackness that seemed to go on forever. You glanced at Jungkook, who was stood next to you, he had the same glint of worry in his eyes as you did. He entwined his fingers around yours and gripped it tightly, you felt better holding his hand because he made you feel safe. 

You looked to your other side and saw the rest of your group staring into the abyss with nervous looks on their faces. Hobi looked at Namjoon with an are you serious?  face. As much as you loved Hobi for the bouncy contagious energy he had he jump at 90% of things even if they were harmless.  

"Shall we get it over with?" Namjoon asked a rhetorical question and climbed off the bus into the long tunnel. A splash was heard when his feet hit the road and he groaned, "The water's cold." You rolled your eyes slightly and jumped down too closely followed by Jungkook as he clicked his torch on and held it high. Your feet weren't soaked yet but if the water got any deeper they would be. 

The air inside the tunnel was damp and cold, it was a good sign so far, you could always smell Biters before you saw them. You kept your eyes wide as everyone moved through the tunnel keeping their torches high trying to illuminate as much of it as possible. Jungkook was keeping very close to your side so he could protect you in case something came running out of the darkness. You could take care of yourself but thought it was best not to argue. Jungkook didn't seem like the type of guy to snap easily but you didn't want to test it just before walking into an endless, dark and wet tunnel.

"This place is cheerful," Jimin muttered over the sloshing of the water, "More fun in a graveyard." 

"If we're having too much fun the Biter's may want to come and join us for the party," Jin replied looking into the windows of some of the abandoned cars to see if there was anything useful inside. 

"Good point," Taehyung nodded checking behind you to see if you were being followed. This made you paranoid so you checked over your shoulder which then made Jungkook do the same. Taking a deep breath so you wouldn't panic you kept walking feeling the water getting deeper as it entered your boots making you gasp quietly at its cold temperature. 

"Can everyone swim?" Namjoon asked as the water continued to get deeper until it was at knee height. 

"Yeah," everyone replied not too pleased about getting wet but you'd prefer to get wet than killed. As long as Biters couldn't swim you'd be able to get away from them. That got you wondering that because they were dead they couldn't drown, maybe they just floated in the water not being able to move.

"Keep your eyes peeled for anything we can use, bullets would be great right now," Yoongi reminded everyone keeping his pistol gripped tightly in his hands. 

You nodded and branched out to the left of the group to look in a row of cars. You spotted a bottle on the roof of one of the cars, curiously you picked it up and looked at it. 

"You're not gonna drink that, are you?" Jungkook asked from behind you.

"No," you chuckled shining your torch on it. 

"What've you found?" Namjooned asked wading his way over to you. 

"It's a molotov cocktail." 

"What's that?" Jimin asked curiously coming over to have a look. 

"It's like a bomb," Yoongi answered, "You lit the bit of material at the top on fire and throw it." 

"Oh," Jimin breathed nodding approvingly. "That's cool."

"And it also means someone has been here before." The group looked around nervously shining their torches in every possible space. 

"Do you think they're still here?" Jin asked everyone from the other side of the tunnel.

"I think we're going to find out whether we like it or not." Namjoon answered, "Let's keep moving."

The group continued to slosh through the water keeping their torches up. You slipped the Molotov into your bag making sure to keep it stood up so it didn't splash alcohol into your bag and ruin your stuff.

A sudden loud, high pitched scream made everyone jump and look around for the source of the noise. "The fuck was that?" Hobi asked as the entire group froze in place eyes wide. 

"Sounded like a Changer," you guessed. Changers were normally louder and screamed at a higher pitch than Biters. You knew it wasn't a Raiser because well, there was a reason there were called Raisers. 

More moaning and shouted echoed back to you from further on in the tunnel. "We're not alone." It was by far the creepiest thing Jungkook had ever said and it made the hairs on your arm stand on end in fear. 

"We need to keep moving," you said and bravely took the lead trying to walk even quieter which was difficult due to the water splashing around. 

The rest of the group followed close behind you as you walked through the cars, around an overturned truck and under a collapsed part of the tunnel wall. 

The moaning and shouting got suddenly louder as if whatever was making the noise was much closer than before. Everyone ducked behind the nearest car and the group of splashing water could be heard the other side of a line of police trucks blocking your view. 

"Can anyone see what is it?" Namjoon asked quietly from behind a car with Jin to your left.

"I'll have a look," you answered not really thinking about what you were volunteering yourself for. Jungkook raised his eyebrows at you and you shrugged at him, "I'm smallest, therefore, less likely to be seen. Just hang tight I'll be back in a second."

Before he could say anything you rounded the edge of the car and continued down the right side of the tunnel crouched low to the ground. With just your torch alone you couldn't see enough to know what it was. A splashing made it's way to your ears and you crouched down lower, your eyes wide in an attempt to spot what it was before it spotted you. 

A Changer suddenly stumbled out of the darkness limping heavily on his left leg. He was wearing blue jeans and a white vest. His unusually pale skin was cut and ripped in places leaving holes for brown blood to be oozing out. He'd been a Changer for a while, there must be more nearby. 

You pulled out your bow and arrows taking aim at the Changer's head, it moved right when you shot the arrow and it landed deep into its shoulder. The Changer turned around shouting loudly, it spotted you as you stood up and took aim again. It limped as fast as it could towards you but it didn't get very far as your second arrow went straight through its head. 

"Clear guys, come out." 

The guys came around the corner a moment later as you collected your bloodstained arrows, "Everything went alright?" Jungkook asked quietly an anxious look on his face. 

"Yeah," you replied, "He's been here a while there's definitely more of them around."

"Brilliant," Hobi muttered looking like he'd do anything to get out of this place. 

"How long is this tunnel?" Jin asked his face hidden by darkness, everyone looked at you.

"Well, in a car it takes around 45 ish minutes, give or take." 

"Give or take," Hobi replied in a high voice and you seriously thought he was going to faint. 

"I have an idea," Jimin chipped in his jawline looking impressive as it was illuminated by the torches. Everyone looked at him so he continued, "Are there any maintenance shafts or anything, we might be able to sneak through those which would be faster and less chance of seeing Infected." 

"That's a good idea," Tae agreed with Jimin nodding. 

"Y/N, you know where that is?" Jin asked.

"No, of course, I don't. But there might be a doorway in the wall, that would lead us to one."   

"Ok, new plan," Namjoon started, "Find a service door, a hatch or something we can get into."