Chapter 3: Cocoa and Campfires

You stepped out of the shower, throwing your hair into a towel on top of your head and securing another towel around your exposed frame.

      Wiping the fog away from the mirror to expose your reflection, you heard a knock at the door. "Hello?" You answered, questioning in your voice.

      "It's Courtney, we're having a campfire soon. Just thought I'd let you know." The person–Courtney–answered.
      "Thanks, Court Bourt. I'll be out in a few."
      After rubbing your wet hair so it was at least damp, you brushed it out before throwing it into a bun on the top of your head. You couldn't be bothered to blow dry it, so that was your best option.

      You threw on the pyjama's and a sweater you had picked out, looked over your appearance once before throwing your wet towels into the laundry basket, and left the bathroom.

Slipping on your shoes, you made your way outside of the cabin. You followed the laughter and talking as well as the unmistakable light to find the fire.

You took in the sight in front of you. All of your friends say around the campfire, hot cocoa in their hands and smiles on their faces as they cracked jokes and told stories. You smiled warmly to yourself and felt your heart swell, this was your family and nothing was going to change that.

      "Y/n!" Hearing your name snapped you out of thought, and brought your attention to your caller. "Come sit." Shayne patted the log next to him, you made your way over and squished in between him and Courtney.

      "Glad you could make it," Courtney smiled, "thought you'd be in there dolling yourself up." You shrugged at her. "I feel comfortable enough not wearing makeup in front of you guys." You states simply, "Aww," Courtney wrapped her arms dramatically around you, "n/n is comfortable around us!"

     You pushed her off with a small laugh, "Shut up, Courtney!" There was little to no anger in your voice, only happiness and amusement. You felt Shayne tap your shoulder, "Here." He smiled and handed you a mug of hot coca.

      You returned the smile and thanked him, putting some marshmallows in and indulging in the conversation the others were having.

      You finished your hot cocoa in what seemed like a short amount of time, and your attention drew somewhere else. You scanned the area and noticed Sunny holding a guitar, it seemed Courtney had noticed too.

      "Y/n! You totally have to sing us a campfire song!" She exclaimed, hopping up and grabbing the guitar from Sunny's hands. You immediately went to protest, "Nope, not happening." You said quickly.

      You didn't think you were that bad of a singer. You could hold a note and keep up with a good melody, but you were definitely not the best.

      You heard the others agree with Courtney and whine when you didn't agree. "See?" Courtney said, "The others want you to, too! It won't be that bad." You thought about it for a moment, before caving in.

      "Fine. Hand it over." You sighed, Courtney looked as if she was a kid in a candy store and handed you the guitar quickly.

      You undoubtably chose to sing the campfire song song from spongebob, mostly because you knew you wouldn't be singing alone. You started to strum the tune, smiling a little seeing as their faces lit up realizing what song it was.

      "Let's gather 'round the campfire and sing our campfire song," You started, swaying side to side slowly. "Our c-a-m-p-f-i-r-e-s-o-n-g song!" The others joined in with you, making you smile even wider.

      As you progressed in the song, Noah and Keith stood up and started to dance like fools, making you laugh and stop strumming for a moment. "Y/n! Keep going!" Keith said in exasperation, you waved in front of your face trying to calm yourself down.

      "Sorry! Sorry! Your dancing just really got to me." You apologized, grabbing your cheeks since they started hurting. After a moment of calming down, you started up again.

***

      After a few more songs, you all started to get tired. You yawned as Ian put out the fire, and Olivia and Courtney started collecting the mugs. You got up yourself, in search for something to do to help out.

      You decided you would take the blankets inside, and after taking about three, it was noticeable that you were struggling. You felt one blanket being lifted out of your hand, only to be met with Shayne's smiling face.

      "I noticed you were having a bit of trouble," He started out sweetly, "because you don't have muscles like mine–" Your mouth dropped open before laughing and hitting him lightly, earning a laugh back.

      "But I guess I'll help you take the blankets back inside, since, y'know, my muscles–" You cut him off with another light, teasing smack to his shoulder. "Alright, Shayne. I get it." You rolled your eyes and smiled subconsciously.

      You slowly made your way back to the cabin. Accidentally dropping a blanket a few times and Shayne laughing at you, but it was successful in the long run.

      You placed the blankets (except for yours) onto an ottoman and flopped down onto your bed. "Oh, cool! Sleepover!" Was all you heard Shayne say before he flopped down on top of you.

      You groaned, "Get off of me, Shayne! You're heavy!" You muttered as you struggled to push his muscular build off of your small frame. "Wow, fat shaming? I didn't know you were like that, Y/n." Shayne pouted dramatically, but he couldn't hold the act, breaking it with laughter.

      You couldn't help but to laugh too, "Seriously, Shayne Topp! Get off of me!" You kept pushing and pushing but he wouldn't budge. "Y'know, Y/n? I'm really getting tired now, maybe I should just sleep here." Shayne said in a teasing tone.

      You could feel his head rest on your stomach, making you blush at the thought of what this looked like to an outside perspective.

      You shook that thought off quickly, "Shayne!" You whined, drawing out the 'e'. But it was still no use, he wouldn't budge and he even started to fake snore. You knew you were going to lose this battle.

      Sighing, you flung your arms over your face and shut your eyes. If this was how it was going to be...might as well get comfortable.

      You had assumed Shayne was already asleep, and about five minutes later you started to doze off too. "Uh, am I interrupting something?" You quickly shot up, bashing your head off of the top bunk.

      Shayne woke up to the commotion and seeing you holding your head. "Y/n? Are you okay?" He asked, grabbing your head to examine it. You smacked his hands away with one hand while you rubbed your head with the other, "I'm fine, Shayne." You muttered.

      You winced as you looked up to see where the voice was coming from, and of course, it was Courtney Miller in all of her smug glory. "And to answer your question, no, Courtney. You weren't interrupting anything." You glared at her and stood up.

       "Now if you will excuse me, I have to make sure I don't have a concussion." You pushed past Courtney quickly, rushing to the bathroom. You closed the door behind you and locked it shut. A million thoughts were rushing through your head per second.

      Would it be weird with Shayne now or did he think of it as completely innocent like I did? I just hope he doesn't start avoiding me. As you started to think about it more, you face palmed.

      You were now in the battlefield of Courtney Miller's teasing.