Chapter 5: Sliping and Sliding

You looked at the kickball setup in front of you. You wouldn't lie, it was impressive and well thought out...except for the fact you'd have to dive into pools of lube.

After the brief introduction, you took your place lined up behind your teammates as the Kumbyaa's scattered in the outfield. You bounced up and down a little, swinging your arms to calm your nerves and get yourself ready for your turn.

Joe pitched to Ian, he kicked it high in the air but Wes narrowly missed catching it, and Ian ran to first base. Shayne was next, kicking it high too, but Wes redeemed himself and caught it. Making Shayne the first one out.

Shayne jogged back to the rest of the team, shaking his head in little disappointment. You smiled at him warmly, patting his shoulder. "You'll get em' next time, tiger." You teased with a little laugh.

Mari kicked before you, landing herself in a base and Ian getting the first point for your team. You stood in your place, preparing for your kick as the ball came rolling toward you.

You kicked it with all your might, the ball flying somewhat in the air but brushing past Noah's fingertips, falling and rolling away. You ran and slid as fast as you could to first base, getting absolutely covered in lube. Gross.

Keith kicked right into Noah's arms next, Noah passed the ball to Anthony and he dropped the ball into the base, making Flitz out as well. "Double play!" You heard Matt Raub yell as you groaned, flicking off some of the lube that gathered in your arms and shirt.

The Harshmallow's and the Kumbyaa's switched positions, and you placed yourself closer to the pitch, hoping you'd catch some oddballs. Wes was kicking first, you knew he was going to kick hard or/and high, but you readied yourself anyway.

Your prediction was correct, Wes kicked a hard, high flying ball, slipping past your teammates fingers and he slid quickly to first base.

Courtney was next, kicking straight into your arms. You caught it, making her out, and passed it quickly to Flitz in hope that he would throw it in first base to make Wes out as well.

But in Flitz's dazed confusion, Wes managed to get into first base before going off on Keith. "That's cheating, you can't hold me back! That should be an automatic run." Wes demanded, pointing his finger at Keith.

"You're twice his size, tackle him!" You heard Joven call out from the sidelines, making you laugh. "Yeah, Wes!" You agreed, "Don't be a poor sport."

You saw Wes pout and quietly grumble to himself as Anthony stepped up to kick.

***

      As the game progressed, things started to get more tense. The Harsmallow's are in the lead, but the Kumbyaa's started to get more heated by the way Keith was playing.

      It was the final inning, you prepared yourself for your kick, taking a deep breath in and out. Joe pitched it to you, kicking it low and past Joe, giving you the get away.

      You slipped your way on your feet to first base, as you reached the pool to step in, you felt yourself land on the side of your ankle. You fell to the ground, pain shooting up your leg.

      "Time out!" You called desperately as you fought back the tears that threatened to spill, gripping your ankle in agony. "Fuck." You muttered to yourself quietly, hearing the others calling out to you as you flipped onto your back.

      You couldn't believe what you just did. What if this dumb injury jeopardized your team winning this game? "Y/n! Are you okay?" Joe said, coming to your side to take a look at your ankle.