Chapter 11: All That's Broken Can be Fixed

Nerves flowed through your body like a melody on a piano. Complicated. You were terrified to say the least to see how Courtney would react to your apology.

      You closed your eyes, taking a deep inhale before exhaling and reopening them. You had decided you were ready for the worst, and strutted your way into the room.

       As you entered, you could see Courtney sat curled up next to Shayne.

      Your heart dropped to your stomach. They were both here, and they're cuddling?

       You felt anger bubble inside you, were they serious right now? You clenched your fist tightly, you really wanted to punch something.

      Preferably Shayne's face.

       As you were about to stomp over to them, You looked them over once more before coming to your senses.

       Punching Shayne would not make your situation better, and they're friends, friends can interact any way they want.

       Your eyebrows drew into a shameful shape I'm overreacting, let's just talk to Courtney and get this over with. Damn, I really need to get my feelings in check.

      You shuffled over to them slowly, "Hey, Courtney?" The words left your mouth before even process them, it was time.

Both of their heads perked up at the sound of your voice, you stood there awkwardly under their gaze.

      "Uh, yeah? What's up?" Courtney started hesitantly, moving from her spot curled up in Shayne's side to sit up properly.

"Can I...Uh...." You rocked back and fourth on your heels, rubbing the back of your neck. "Can I talk to you?" You squeaked out at light speed, scared for her response.

Courtney's brows furrowed in confusion, "Um, yeah. Sure why not." She smiled awkwardly before standing up.

Courtney shifted a little uncomfortably, "I'll talk to you later." She turned back to Shayne before following you out of the room.

***

      You walked a good distance away where nobody seemed to be, having a little privacy for this conversation.

      You stood with your head slumped down to the ground, too embarrassed to make eye contact.

      The both of you stood in awkward silence before Courtney broke it. "So..." She started, "What's up?"

      You were silent. Nervously playing with your fingers as you tried to figure out what you were going to say. You didn't even know where to start.

      You glanced up a little, and you could see the slight annoyance on Courtney's face. Guess you should start talking soon.

      You sighed before actually making eye contact, "I want to talk about what I did to you a few weeks ago."

      Courtney's lips turned into a frown. "Oh, I see..." She was scared of what you were going to say, but this conversation was way overdue. She wanted the same as you, to have your friendship go back to normal.

      You sighed again for what felt like the umpteenth time today. "I..." You took a deep breath before continuing, "I'm really, really sorry." You said, voice barley above a whisper.

      Courtney looked at you with a pitiful look, waiting patiently for the other words you were about to speak.

      "I shouldn't have gone off on you like that. It's not really your fault." You explained, running a hand through your hair.

       "I just, I know it wasn't your intention to have this happen..." You started to trip over your words, "But the photo made a shift in Shayne where he started ignoring me, and I was really stressed, thinking I did something wrong,"

      You were borderline rambling now, just wanting to get everything out. "I'm sure there's a reason why he's distant with me, but remembering you posted the photo really pushed me over the edge."

       "All of my pent up anger was let out and put on you," Tears welled in your eyes, "and I'm super sorry for it."

       "I just want our friendship to go back to normal." You finally choked out, wiping the running tear.

       You couldn't read the emotions in Courtney's face, making you almost want to cry even more. You didn't know how she was going to take of the information you just word vomited out.

       Before you knew it, you were engulfed in a bone crushing hug by a sobbing Courtney and hearing her cry was a signal for you to let it all out too.

       You rested your head on her shoulder, sobbing with no restraint. You were so relieved and happy she forgave you and you could have your best friend back.

       Courtney pulled away from you, laughing a little and wiping your tears. "Oh, Y/n," She started with a chuckle, "how could I not forgive you? You're my best friend, forever and always."

      You smiled, resting your head into her palms while she held your face. "No stupid fight over a boy is going to rip us apart." She finished with a small laugh, making you laugh too.

      You sniffled wiping your nose, "Thank god, that whole thing made me nervous." Your smiled vanished from your face as you remembered something.

       Courtney noticed, face contorting into concern. "What's wrong?" She asked.

      "I...I have to speak to Shayne now."