Chapter 16: The Video

"Are you sure you want to do this on your own?" Keith asked from behind the camera that was being set up in front of you.

        "I could always sit in here if you needed me to." He insisted, adjusting the tripod for the umpteenth time, his body language and tone making it obvious he didn't want you to do this by yourself.

      "I have to, Keith." You sighed, adjusting your shirt before tucking a strand of hair behind your ear nervously. "If I don't do this myself, they're not going to take me seriously."

      You placed a hand on Keith's shoulder to calm his nerves, looking up at him with a solemn smile. "I'll be okay, it's just the internet."

      "Yeah, just the internet." He muttered under his breath, shaking your hand off his shoulder. "Alright then, I'll leave you to it."

      You gave him another smile, "I'll only be a few minutes." You reassured the man before he left the room.

      You let out a shaky sigh, willing your trembling legs to go over to the camera and hit the button to start recording.

      You plopped down onto the couch, staring the menacing lens down with worried eyes. You took a deep breath before you started.

       "Hey guys..."

***

      You watched your phone like a hawk.

      The video you had made just dropped on your personal channel and it wouldn't be too long before the Smosh fans would reach it.

      You felt a hand land on your thigh, making you look up from your fingers which you had been playing with.

      You followed the hand to be met with the face of none other than Keith, the one who'd supported you throughout the process.

      With worried brows and a reassuring smile, he promised you everything would be okay.

      You wanted to believe him, you really did. But calling out a whole fandom was a lot for one person to do.

      It had started with you calling them out on their toxicity about you even looking at either Shayne or Noah.

      You couldn't let it go on any longer, your mind and heart just would not bare the pain anymore.

      It took only a matter of ten minutes before your phone started to blow up with Twitter notifications.

      You grabbed the vibrating phone immediately, unlocking it and opening the app straight away. You weren't about to let suspense kill you.

      A stinging feeling burned your eyes as you read the tweets.

      With a couple of sore thumbs, most were supportive.

      They understood you.

      You were finally free.

      You didn't have to put restraints on the way you would act around Shayne anymore.

      You were free to be you.

      A hot tear escaped your eyes, you wiped it away quickly. God, you were such a baby.

     Strong arms wrapped themselves around your frame, pulling you in close and tight. "You did it." Keith smiled at you, rubbing your arm soothingly.

       Yeah, you did, and boy were you glad to get your life back in check.