Chapter 12: Do Over

A hand clasped down onto your shoulder, "You shouldn't worry so much, I'm sure you'll be fine." Courtney consoled, rubbing it a bit.

You flashed her a weak smile, "Thanks, Court, but who's to say he won't try to avoid me or he won't be willing to talk?" Your habit of overthinking started to kick in.

Courtney shook her head, "Then you keep trying," She insisted. "You keep trying and trying until he gives in. This problem can't go unsolved."

You nodded slowly, "Yeah, I guess you're right." She smiled at you brightly before engulfing your figure into a firm hug.

      You felt her hand rub your back in support before she pulled away and looked you in the eyes, "You got this." Courtney said softly.

      You nodded, shaking your hands to shake your nerves. You gave Courtney a small "Thanks" before walking out of the room to go and find Shayne.

***

      There he was, standing in all of his glory.

       You felt your heart rise to your throat, were you really ready for this?

      You shook that thought from your head, yes, you were ready. You were ready for an explanation and to have your friend back.

      Shayne stood, leaning against the island, glass of water in hand as he scrolled through his Instagram.

      When he heard the creaking of the floor he knew somebody was coming his way, he looked up to see who it was.

      His eyes widened in surprise of seeing you standing there, he thought you two weren't on talking terms. Shayne flashed a ghost of a smile before starting the conversation off.

      "Uh, hey, Y/n." He said awkwardly, slowly taking a sip of water and trying to look anywhere else but your face.

      "Hey," you responded a little flat, you were just desperate to get this over with, feeling sick of the pain. "I need to talk to you."

      Shayne breathed in sharply, causing him to choke on his water. He placed the water down quickly in a panic and coughed into his elbow.

      Your eyes widened in panic while you rushed to his side, "Are you okay?" You asked, smacking his back to help him.

      Shayne nodded quickly while waving his hands, indicating you to back off a little. You understood, backing away to give him space.

After his little coughing fit, Shayne's face flushed a shade of red. You stared at him with concerned and slightly scared eyes, you just wished he would speaking already.

Shayne rubbed the back of his neck, "You seem to want to talk to everyone these days, heh..." he tried to lighten the mood but ultimately failed.

You fought back a groan before crossing your arms, "Can we talk or not?" You rested into your hip, getting a little frustrated.

Shayne looked down at the ground before answering, "Yeah." He muttered, slightly scared of what's to come.

***

You swung your feet back and fourth while you sat on the bathroom sink.

Yes, the bathroom.

Probably not the most appropriate place to have this kind of conversation, but it was definitely the most private (don't take that out of context).

Shayne stood a few feet in front of you as he awaited for the conversation to start rolling, but he could tell you were nervous.

You took a deep breath in and started talking, "What happened with us?" You spoke in a quiet voice playing with your fingers nervously.

Shayne frowned, this was the question you asked weeks ago but you didn't let him speak. He was kind of grateful because he didn't have a good response then, and he still doesn't have one now.

"I-I don't know." Shayne said, looking away from you again. You furrowed your brows and placed your hands on the sink roughly, "What do you mean, you don't know?"

Shayne's head snapped back to look at you, seeing the angry expression growing on your face. He needed to start talking, and now.

"I really don't-" He spluttered out before you cut him short, "You don't know why you stopped talking to me and avoided me whenever you had the chance?" You scoffed, "Funny."

Shayne felt his heart deflate and a pit grow in his stomach. Was this ordeal really affecting you this much? He thought he was getting the toughest end of the bargain since you were acting the same way.

"But you did the same thing." Shayne brought up, arms crossing in annoyance. You hopped off of the sink to stand in front of him, arms crossing too.

You glared up at him, "Because you did it to me first!" You protested a bit childishly.

Shayne could see where this conversation was going to go, and it wasn't going to end well. He needed to avert this.

He sighed before uncrossing his arms, "Look, if we argue like this we're not going to get anywhere."

Your expression softened and you followed his lead of uncrossing your arms, he was right. "Alright," You said calmly, "Will you answer my question now?"

Shayne started to get nervous, "Well..." he trailed off, "I kind of avoided you because of the photo."

You mentally groaned, this photo was going to haunt and ruin your friendships forever.

You could also feel the anger bubble up, remembering Courtney took it, but you let it go quickly. There was no point in getting mad at her anymore.

"It hasn't been deleted yet?" You groan to yourself and facepalm. Shayne shifted uncomfortably, "Uh, no?" He answered your rhetorical question.

You sigh, "That's the only thing that made you avoid me?" You wanted to make sure you were hearing this right.

Shayne nodded, "Yeah, I, Uh..." he trailed off once more, "I read the comments." He finished.

Before you could speak, it was his turn to cut you off. "I know, I know, you should be fuming at me-"
"I am-"
"But they were saying so many mean things about you, Y/n. I had to do something, and I felt like avoiding you was my only option." Shayne tried to justify himself.

"I couldn't risk fulling the fire." He finished, scared for your response.

Your expression softened. He was doing all of this to protect you? "Oh, Shayne," you sighed, looking up into his eyes. "You really shouldn't worry about what the fans say, they don't know what happens behind the camera."

"Besides," you started with a small smile, trying to lighten the mood. "I can take em', I'm a tough cookie!" You said, striking a superhero like pose.

Shayne snorted, "Yeah right." He scoffed before getting serious again. "I'm really, really sorry for this, Y/n."

You smiled weakly at him, "Don't sweat it, we're all good now. Aren't we?" You tilted your head and stared at him with soft eyes.

"Yeah," he smiled, "Let's start over." You raised a brow.

"Hey, I'm Shayne. Nice to meet you." Oh. So he really meant start over.

You stared at his outstretched hand before smiling widely, grabbing it and shaking it.

"Nice to meet you Shayne. My name's Y/n." You could feel your heart beat a little faster, everything seemed to be aligning in your favour.