01

WHEN the first rays of the sun breaks through my curtains, I felt light on air. The yellow-ish glow decorates my bedroom floor, streaking across my white covers. Right away, I could hear the faint chirping of the birds outside and for a second, I thought it would be a good day.

That is, until, with so much laziness and a restrained yawn, I sluggishly fling my hand to find my phone on the bedside table when I notice that I didn't hear the alarm ringing.

Maybe you shouldn't celebrate too soon and I think I've learnt this in the somehow not so easy way.

It wouldn't be a problem if I'd woken up at 7 am on a weekday as I've always been a morning person. Usually I'd take the opportunity to an early start to the day to clear my thoughts and maybe, you know, stretch a bit and listen to calming music before the box of chaos called life throws itself on my face.

But when you wake up before 8 am, on a Sunday, with absolutely no plans ahead further into the day, there really is no point.

But despite that, of course mornings are never really complete without coffee. Just the subtle kick of sugar to start the day, to get you up on your feet. That's why the first place my feet take me is to the roastery they have in town, not too far from the university I'm attending.

Let's just hope no one comments on my clearly oversized hoodie and striped pyjama pants. I mean, come on, even I think 7 am is too early to dress up.

The roastery was always crowded with people, more or less by students with their laptops out and their eyes half opened - probably due to spending their night here having to survive on being nocturnal with just the occasional sips from whatever drink they have in their mugs. The 24 hour place was like a blessing to these students and even though I don't come here as often as some of these people, I could tell this was their comfortable spot - after getting kicked out from the uni libraries of course.

As per usual, the roastery had a very strong scent of coffee beans and heavy cream. It was kind of refreshing, almost, like the kind to suddenly lift the pressure off your shoulders. The air is much warmer than the weather outside and the lights are a faded yellow glow. When I enter, I hear the soft melody of the background song playing through the speakers mixing in tune with the faint whirring of the coffee machines at the front. The perfect atmosphere to sit down and think for a while.

I order my usual, hot cappuccino with floating marshmallows on top and three pieces of chocolate filled croissants, before finding a vacant seat near the front of the shop and look out to the slowly waking city outside of these glass windows.

As I sip the warm mug of caffeine, I scan the rest of the shop with watchful eyes as more and more people start coming in whilst some others head out to enjoy the morning sunshine. One person specifically though, caught my eyes. He enters the roastery with hesitance, his eyes as if searching for a person but he took confident strides to the back of the shop, maybe waiting for someone.

I can't ignore the fact that I've seen him around campus grounds maybe once or twice before, and if he does go to the same uni, what does he take? My mind recalls to the one time I passed by him in the hallways with music student, Kim Hongjoong a week ago. Maybe he took the same? Art and music never shared the same classes, maybe that's why I've never seen him much.

Time passes and I've almost finished what I have on my plate but he still sits there at the back of the roastery with a glass of water to keep him company. He looks out every once in a while, eyes snapping to the door each time a person comes in. But the person he's waiting for doesn't come and he sighs before he returns to his phone again.

Many were staring at him now, why he was alone in a place where usually a lot of people meet and yet he was alone and only have a glass of water - well, 'had' to be exact as he's downed the rest of the liquid. Somewhere deep inside of me feels bad for him. Who was he waiting for and why are they letting him sit there alone?